Password for Firmware woes!

Hi All,
On wanting to re-install AIX 6.1 on to an RS 6000 Power 9111 285 station, I've tried to get in to SMS and also to boot from the DVD drive, but now the Firmware is locked and asking for the password. I originally set the password about 6 years ago and have forgotten it because I've never needed it. Can anyone help me please in order to be able to boot from DVD, bypass, or change/wipe the current firmware password.
Thanks

Are you trying to login to login to the ASMI or HMC. Is there a code on your LED display, if so what is it (something lie Bxxxxxx)?

If you don't know the admin password to access the ASMi then you have two options.

1. IBM support can provide you with celogin password but you need ibm support and the serial number of the machine.
  2. Use the reset toggle jumpers on the service processor ( You need to shutdown the managed system and access the service processor jumpers )

See....
Adding Managed System through HMC Failed Authentication and Firmware Password Locked - Toolbox for IT Groups

1 Like

do you know your ASMI password? Hint: usually admin:admin :wink:

Thanks Blackrageous and Agent.KGB for your help. I think I'll go with toggling the jumpers or may try to connect an InfoWindow Terminal.
Thanks again :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:12 PM ----------

Hi Blackrageous, Can you tell me please are the jumpers those small holes on the front panel? And do you have a link as to which order of holes I should press with a pin, or perhaps you can tell me please?
Thanks

You need the service guide for your machine. Generally speaking you remove the service processor assembly (don't remove the time of day battery).

I think your machine only has one service processor not sure. There should be a toggle switch (here is an example for one model:

IBM Knowledge Center

Here is the documentation for your system:

IBM Knowledge Center

This is for the service processor assembly for your model:

IBM Knowledge Center

Hi Blackrageous, Is it simply a case of setting the switch and then I have a machine I can switch on, set a new firmware password and up and away re-install AIX? The machine isn't currently networked and when I set it up it will just be to an internet router.
Thanks

How are you accessing the system now?

I'm currently using USB mouse and keyboard and a VGA flatscreen monitor. I'm not a remote client or using a terminal.

What menu are you in, can you do a screen print. What code is on the LED display if any. Did you try the service guide instructions for opening the system?

Hi, The service guide instructions are pretty clear. Thanks for your links. I'm not actually using the system to access this page as I'm on a laptop, but when I go to boot the RS 6000 machine from a DVD or try to access SMS, basically on boot up, this is when it asks for the password, although without the password it then goes on to boot the system in to AIX OK and I have the administrator/root password to get in to that. I'll fire it up tomorrow and see what code the panel gives when the firmware password is asked for first.
Thanks

---------- Post updated 27-08-15 at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous update was 26-08-15 at 05:37 PM ----------

Hi Blackrageous, The front panel code I get when it asks for the password is CA00E1A0. Is the pinhole on the front any good to use? I think it resets to factory settings, could I just load AIX after doing that? I haven't got any data I want to save as it's just a machine for learning on.

My guess is that the single pin will reset to factory settings. From memory the default password is ibm123, and (too) many people have reset it to something very similar, but at least 7 characters.

Basically, if there are no partitions (bare metal install) then you should not have any problems. And, assuming that the system, once booted as AIX does show the DVD you could just change the bootlist to the DVD and boot the system without going into the admin menu to change the bootlist.

Maybe this helps!?

Hi Michael, that's good saves me opening up the pre-processor, thank you for that information. :slight_smile:

did it help, i.e., did i guess correctly?

Hi Michael, I'll let you know as I haven't got around to doing it as I've been so run down.

:slight_smile: no problem, just curious.