for $line(<FH>)
                {
                        for ($line =~ /$NameAid/g )                        {
                                print $line;
                        }
                }
        }
        close FH;

I need to search for the user entered value in Variable $Name and search in each line of the file "AIDNameList.txt". I tried many ways but cudnot find how to give the word in the for loop.

Could some one help me out..

Thanks in advance
JS

cat AIDNameList.txt | grep "${Name}Aid" | while read line
do
     print $line;
done
1 Like

Much simpler Perl version

print "Enter the Name:  ";
my $Name = <>;
print "Word is $Name";

open my $FH, '<', 'AIDNameList.txt' or die "Can't read AIDNameList: $!";
print grep { /$Name/ } <$FH>;
close $FH;
1 Like

Thank you all for the reply ... but somehow it is not working .. I am trying to tune it .. :b:

---------- Post updated at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:59 PM ----------

I tried but still i dont get the output. the grep command is not taking the value in $Name. I need to search for the value in the variable $Name. :confused:

Can u post sample input string and existence of the same in input file to get exact idea on your problem?

My sample AIDNameList.txt file is as below :

My program is to take input value from used (say "name2") and search for this in the file "AIDNameList.txt" and print the whole line "name2 emailid2
"

I need "only" that particular line to be printed.

Sorry, my bad, you'll have to chomp the input, otherwise it'll include the newline character in the search:

print "Enter the Name:  ";
my $Name = <>;
chomp $Name;
print "Word is $Name";

open my $FH, '<', 'AIDNameList.txt' or die "Can't read AIDNameList: $!";
print grep { /$Name/ } <$FH>;
close $FH;

Besides, what's wrong with using a regular man grep (POSIX)?

1 Like
read name
grep "^$name" AIDNameList.txt

Even this will satisfy your requirement. Please correct if I missed judged your point.

It worked now. :cool:

---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:53 PM ----------

Thank u So much .. I simply didnot somehow consider using grep.

sorry jisha for stealing your thread, i did 1 line change making chomp when in accept the input. i use this frequently but i have not seen in actual coding. can someone tell me reason ? if there is any reason behind it.

I used to get unexpected output before chomp was used. chomp removes the trailing strings usually the new line character. it should be used because a string with a newline character and same string with out the new line charecter are different.
eg: $Name = "Alina"; and $Name = "Alina " are different .

Regular expression search will not return the intended value if chomp is not used in these cases .

i know why chomp is used, but i want to know, why its used like below

my $input = <STDIN> ; 
chomp $input ; 

and not like below

chomp ( my $input = <STDIN> ) ; 

Habit, mostly. I like my variables declared before I pass them to any functions. But as always TMTOWTDI.