Partition with parted

Hello folks,

I have 2.4TB san storage i want to make 4 partition each having 600GB. I use fdisk but not possible to do this because of fdisk limitation. So i tried parted but it make 2.4TB one partition but with parted not possible to make 4 partition having 600GB, may be i m doing wrong, can some one advise me on that how to make 4 partition with parted.

In the parted prompt, execute these commands:

# parted
select /dev/sdb
mklabel msdos
mkpart
Primary/Extend? p
Start: 0
End: 600G
print

You need to repeat the steps from mkpart to End another 3 times to create another three partitions. But the next partion will start at: 600G and end at 1200G and so on. Let us know if you come across any further issue.

i am getting message that msdos label do no support devices that have more than 4294967295 sectors.

Indeed, that's a well known BIOS fdisk partition table limitation. You need to make sure your OS supports GPT and create a gpt label instead.

# parted
(parted) select /dev/sdb
Using /dev/sdb
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart
Partition name? []? p1
File system type? [ext2]?
Start? 0
End? 600G
(parted) print

@jlliagre

i have done this as well, but after quit it show me one partition while under parted it show 4 partition, what should i do now? i need to format four partition which i made in parted but not able to do so because fdisk is not showing it, so what you suggest.

---------- Post updated at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:15 AM ----------

So it means if i make partition with parted above then 2.2TB so it will show one partition with fdisk and if i need to see four partition i will use gdisk, please confirm?

You cannot use fdisk with disk that used GPT. If you do, it will show only what is know the Legacy MBR i.e. a single partition covering the whole disk. You need to use gdisk or parted.

Once you create partitions with parted, you will get them listed under /dev directory, provided that your kernel supports GPT. To check that, grep your kernel's config file in boot directory for "CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION".