Partioning of Disks on Red Hat Linux

Hello

I have two disks on Red Hat Linux box. Disk one has been installed Linux Operating system.

The disk two has been partitioned as one disk with 100 GB on the partition /dev/hda1.

Right now, I want to modify it as 5 partitions.
I like to partition disk 2 into 5 partitions.

One will be using the same partition as /dev/hda1 with about 20 GB ,
remaining /dev/hda2 with about 20GB , /dev/hda3 with about 20GB , /dev/hda4 with 20GB , /dev/hda5 with 20GB , /dev/hda6 with 20GB

Could you please help me on necessary steps using FDISK or mkfs or what commands need to be used with options.

Regards
Lukas

You can use fdisk (fdisk /dev/(device name without any numbers)

then m brings up the menu and that may help from there

another option, if you have it, is parted or gparted. That may help at this point, as it is graphical and could assist you with how you would like to partition

One thing to consider, is that you are only allowed 4 primary partitions. You broke convention with your implementation, using /dev/hda4 as a data partition
You can use an extended partition, which technically, uses a primary partition to create a container for logical partitions.
You would have /dev/hda1, hda2, hda3 (hda4 would be the remaining disk, but unused) then hda5 and onward would be logical partitions that are contained in hda4.

This may help

Large Disk HOWTO: Extended and logical partitions

Hello

Using Fdisk command we created Partitions.Are these partitions created called Raw Partitions.

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): p
Command (m for help): n
First cylinder (28569-38913, default 28569):
Using default value 28569
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (28569-38913, default 38913): +40000M
Command (m for help): n
First cylinder (28935-38913, default 28935):
Using default value 28935
Last cylinder or +size or +sizeM or +sizeK (28935-38913, default 38913): +40000M

Could you please tell us more on Creation of Raw Partitions

Regards
Lukas