OVM Server for SPARC ... Need Your Help Guys !

I have two SPARC T4-2 servers:

• Oracle Solaris 11.1 Installed.
  • Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.0 software Installed.
  • Shared LUN provisioned to both servers from Clariion CX4 storage box (shared LUN to be used for the Live Migration of the VMs).
  • Oracle VM Agent 3.2.1 for SPARC installed.
  • Oracle Linux and Oracle VM Manager 3.2.1 installed on Oracle X6220 server.
  • the T4-2 SPARC servers has been discovered and added to a pool using the OVM Manager.

How can i configure the shared LUN that was provisioned from the CX4 storage box to the OVM servers to be as the VMs repo./location and use the Live Migration Feature?
I tried to scan/discover the local disks attached to OVM servers from the Manager GUI but it didn't drop any thing !

Please advice about the proper configuration apart from using NFS ...... if it is not possible to use the SAN .... how we can configure the NFS so !

The SAN stuff is pretty new for me, too.
I guess you must put a file system on the raw disk first.
Either ufs ( man newfs ) or zfs ( man zpool ).
And before that you even might need to write a SPARC disk label in format

Tried

• putting a file system (thought shared disk should have a cluster file system).
  • added the disk to the vdsdev server

Nothing helped. I think only NFS is supported on SPARC

Take a look at this post: How to show off live migration with a SPARC system? - c0t0d0s0.org
Joerg used iSCSI for the disks, but I think you can easly substitute it with your SAN stuff...

Nice article. Curiously he didn't use a cluster file system as share storage. We have successfully test live migration on FC with QFS on the shared storage.
Anyway, my actual question was in reference to OVM Manager support for SPARC. OVM Manager cannot detect any storage on the T4 servers.

Did you get this resolved? If not, I can probably help.

We left it. Now using the command line. Were you able to successfully implement it and manage SPARC VMs with it?

I'm working on implementing it now, but reviewing the posts you made caused me to wonder if your SAN was properly setup for these live migrations. Did you get it sorted out?. The config is this, you need shared LUNs. The CX4 is capable of this, we're using it currently for our ESXi environment.

Regarding the management, why wouldn't you be using Enterprise Ops Center?

What is the connectivity here? FC or iSCSI?

If FC, what HBA's are you using?

Are you asking about the OP's setup?

Yes, I'm replying to the OP.

Live migration was done successfully that is not a problem. What we were trying to achieve was to use the ovm manager to manage ldoms on sparc but ops center is the way to go. We might try to implement it in a couple of months time.

Our CX4 is FC only and we use emulex HBAs.

I'm working on a proof of concept now for Ops Center. Let me know if you want to compare notes. I'm on a CX4 as well, which makes it particularly interesting to me.

Unfortunately, I have a project starting from next week. Replacing both our CX4 and VNX and implementing DPA and DD.

OPS center is not a priority right now as we are using SCOM but it is in the pipe line.

Lol, our companies have been on a similar trajectory for a while, apparently. I just did an eval for an expansion to our existing VNX. Sadly, we lost a client and the project was canceled for now.