Our First Flash Intro ?

Well, someone created a flash intro for us (their first attempt at SWiSH!)

OK,

SECOND DRAFT:

http://www.unix.com/test_intro2.swf

---------------------------

FIRST DRAFT:

http://www.unix.com/test_intro1.swf

Notice it says "Search before posting a question".....

Well???? What do you think?

How about adding one more line for all newbies as well?

Before you get started, Read the FAQS & RULES!!

Or something to that effect. :smiley:

It is a good step forward. I like the flash alot. However, there should be a way to get out of it if you only have a dial up line to go straight to the site.

Some parts of it move a little to quickly to me. Swish is good! I have it myself

Let us know if you want to play with the .swi source file and I'll email it.... would be happy to see your ideas in action

That was good... Just put some kinda images on it...probably something like the one you have on your every page

UNIX ....... UNiversal Internet eXchange

Regds,
Minaz

Pretty nifty...
I'm assuming that there'll be a "skip intro" link somewhere there for people with slow dialup and those who use intentionally-disabled browsers (for security sake, or if I just feel like using lynx).

It's great for someone whose never been, though!

Agree.... we need a 'skip intro' button and maybe a cool 'loading' graphic... some fading in and images and a little 'audio off' button.....

Yes, if we put something like this up as an intro, regular users should go directly to the forums via another link so we don't have to see flying balls 10 times a day :slight_smile:

Maybe the moderator's Avatars fading in and out ... LOL :slight_smile:

maybe it would only be displayed to non cookied users?

To display an intro to only non-cookied users is a good idea....

(1) in default.php check to see if cookied.

(2) if not cookied, play intro

(3) if cookied, go to forum .....

As far as the effects:

Slide the image in and out between words, slow it down a bit....... great ideas....

so much to do, so little time :slight_smile:

Second draft version:

http://www.unix.com/test_intro2.swf

I've not figured out how to make the 'if cookied don't show flash' algorithm work... sorry... so much vB code and so little time :slight_smile:

To get directly to the forums please just go to:

... until we figure out the where vB does the proper cookie checks, etc.

Let me know if you like it better....

(is it still too fast??)

GOOD JOB !!! Neo & ur team

I checked up from home using a dial-up connection...It was pretty fast than i expected...
Also the background music is kool. I liked it fast & zappy !!

Once again... well done.

Regds,
Minaz

Not bad for someone who just learned SWiSH for the first day :slight_smile: I like it too!

There's music??????

148 beat per minute drums .....

OK, I'm moving this thread to the appropriate section. Thanks for the suggestions and feedback for the beta release :slight_smile: I'll close the poll and perhaps we'll do another if we ever get around to another release.

If anyone is interested in helping with the next release, please visit:

and install and learn SWiSH, if you have not already.

Thanks again. Neo

Is there a reason that it opens a new page or is that the nature of swish?

I am not sure I like having to close my other page. Might just be laziness on my part.

:smiley:

That is just the way it is.. you get what you pay for and like they say in IETF, if you can do better or want a new feature, please start coding :smiley:

I will send the current UNIX.COM SWiSH file to people who wants to put some time into it.

Check out:

www.2advanced.com

I like these folks and their Flash talent....... and would like to have a default forum with a similar (but different) look and feel :slight_smile: These cost about $20,000 +++ USD to build :slight_smile: and if anyone wants to hire 2Advanced for $30,000 to build UNIX.COM forums, please feel free.

Search is spelled "Seach" on the intro

just thought id let you know

Thanks.... fixed (again!)......

BTW: If anyone wants to try their hand at a different flash intro, please feel free to post your artistic work !

The latest monster:

http://www.unix.com/start.html

Im a new member and has some "talent" on graphics.. i can do flash very well (hope people dont mind if i pamper myself a bit).. probably a new design concept on your intro:p