OSX/Unix problem

More of an OSX issue.

I have a file name on my desktop of a previous file I had delete.

Everytime I click on it, it dissapears, only to re-appear if I reboot/open cert apps/or save another file type like it to the desktop. The thing is, it's just the name of the file including extension. The file icon is not there.

When trying to drag to trash it says "cannot move file as it does not.... error -43."

Went and did the terminal "rm /Users/ect/ect/ect and got "file name/folder" not found.

any ideas?

I dont have any other users nor classic installed.

Thanks

macos x sometimes behaves strange when you have damaged files, in your case i think you'll have to remove the file using the terminal. try the following:

rm /Users/YourName/Desktop/YourFile

if the filename contains weird characters or spaces try this:

rm "/Users/YourName/Desktop/Your File"

if you're not sure about the name of the file, go to your desktop:

cd /Users/YourName/Desktop

and list all files:

ls -a

hope this helps
haderach

Yea thanks but I have already tried those :frowning:

Turn of events now. I created a new folder to test Cocktail out and it changed that the ghosting name from the jpg file to "untitiled folder."

Needless to say Cocktail did not work.

Any other ideas?

respect

Hey, give this a try. It has always worked for me.

1. Open the Terminal application.
  2. Type: sudo rm -rf
    Note: Type a space after "-rf".
  3. Drag all of your files you want to trash into the Terminal window. This causes the Terminal window to automatically fill in the name and location of each item.
  4. Press Return

Good idea but it wont work being its not an actual file. I tried with no luck. Thanks though for the suggestion.

The solution to your problem might (or will) be the deletion of the .ds_store file that resides in the desktop folder. (.DS_Store being the -imo- rotten little files MacOS X uses to store various settings, such as preferred view, position of elements in that view, for a specific folder).

The command:

rm ~/desktop/.DS_Store

No sudo needed. It couldn't be easier. This should work, imo. Your problem very much looks to be one where there is no file, yet someone still thinks and acts as though there is (the .DS_Store). Also, deleting this file will not result in any damage to your file system. You may need to reset some of your settings (for the desktop alone), but that will be all.

der Kopf, I was wondering...

Is the .DS_Store a kind of preference file? Does trashing it work the same way as trashing a preference file? That is, it will re-build itself upon launching and create brand new settings. If so, how does it differ from the com.apple.desktop.plist file?

And, can you trash any .DS_Store file without worry, or are there certain ones that should not be trashed?

Just wondering...

I consider these files to be, indeed, kinds of preference files. AFAIK, they store all information related to the presentation of a certain folder to the user (and, if you've used OSX for any lenght of time, you'll know they do a bad job at it).
You can delete ANY .DS_Store file without worry. The only thing that'll happen is that the view/presentation of the folder that contained it will be reset to default.
There are even applications that will delete all .DS_Store files in a certain directory(tree) for you. I'm thinking of Cocktail and De_DDS. These come in handy if you are creating a CDRom for another platform, or if you are sharing a certain folder with other platforms, over a network.
It is indeed so that if you delete a .DS_Store, a new one will be created as soon as you open up that folder again.
I don't know what's in the apple.com... file though, though it will most logically be a reference to your desktop picture and its change regimen.

okay...got it

something to defintely keep in mind next time I'm troublehsooting OS X. thanks for the info