OS Type and Version

I have seen quite a few posts recently which have launched into questions about specfic errors whose resolution depends a lot upon the OS type and version.

I suggest that in the FAQ an additional entry be included, either under general board usage or posting threads, that informs the user to place something like the text below at the top of their posts:

OS Type: HP-UX 64 Bit (or whatever type)
Version: 11.11

This could help reduce the amount of responses that ask "What OS are you running, what version etc etc". It might also stop entire sections of a thread from being completely off-track by assuming things about the OS.

It would be even better if there was an additional field, under the "Subject" field, such as "OS Type and Version" which a person could fill out when they start a new thread and this would be displayed in their post. I suspect it is a lot harder to implement than it is to suggest - but just a thought!

Neo,

This is a good idea that, of course would require more work for you.

Maybe a dropdown for OS, there may be too many. How about a blank field that is required before posting. Just like you have for the Subject title on new messages.
Also maybe for uname -a output and possibly for User level of expertise as a background.

OS Type: ________________
Output of uname -a: ______________
User LVL of expertise: noob, beginner, basic, regular, advanced, expert, adept, master

:smiley:

We have some rules that everyone is supposed to read. They already include

Folks are encourage to do this in the rules .....

http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?=2971

but I agree that most users think the forums can 'read their mind'.... :slight_smile:

something needs to be done and your suggestions are good ones; however, I agree that we don't want a solution that requires a lot of work or hacks to the system.

You can search www.vbulletin.org and see if there are any hacks for vB that might help if you have time.

I think Perderabo and I posted at the same time ... :slight_smile:

and OBTW, hacking vB takes a lot of time and the hacks must be reinstalled when upgrades are done.... that is why we encourage posters to read and follow the rules, which is not too much to ask for a free service.... IYAM

Yea I knew that it might be a lot of work and that there are rules that should be read. Of course we know what happens with that! :smiley:

I just thought I would offer the suggestion. :smiley:

Good suggestion... so much to do and so little time :slight_smile: