Oracle 9i ODBC connection

I am attempting to access an Oracle 9i database located on a Solaris server from an XP client. The server is running Oracle 9i9.2.0.1.0 and the XP is Oracle client 9i 9.2.0.1.0. When I start a listener on the server, the listener starts but I receive a message �The listener supports no services�. I can access the database via SQLPLUS on the client using the Oracle client SQL. I can also access through a telnet SQLPLUS session. When I attempt to access the database in ACCESS using ODBC, I receive an error message:

ODBC - call failed.
Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle ORA 12514: TNS: listerner could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor (#12514) Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed IM006 0 (Microsoft) (ODBC Driver Manager) Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#)

I realize that Listener.ora and Tnsnames.ora on the client work together. On the server, should I have something comparable?

Also, on other examples I have seen SID used to identify a service, the Oracle client configured as SERVICE_NAME = xxxx rather than SID.

After I can establish this ODBC connection, my ultimate goal is to use dfPower DBMS/Copy on my XP client to load Oracle tables on the server through an ODBC connection.

Check out http://www.oracle-base.com (if you havent done so already). You have to sign on (for free) and there are some restrictions:

but there's a change your answer is in there somewhere.

(Yes, I know: if I quoted the answer to your problem it would constitute 'fair use', but I havent got a login myself.)

Good Luck,

Rogier

I would like to thank everyone who responded. It turned out to be an ODBC driver problem, once I loaded the correct driver, my ODBC connection worked.

Hi,

I got the same error as the one you have posted,I am trying to link the database from MS Access 2007 to Oracle database on Solaris server.I am new to this ODBC connection and have no clue.My ODBC versions are 2.575.1117.00.Please let me know if this needs an upgrade and where I can find the upgrades.Thanks in advance for your help.