OpneBSD 5.3 sendmail question

I have a basic OpenBSD 5.3 system installed as 64 bit on an old Sun Blade 100. Yes, it does work fine! It has XFCE, R, Firefox 3.6, nano installed. I have to say that 5.3 is much better than 5.0 or 5.1, and R works very well on it. Anyway, onto the main question. Could someone provide me with a clear, concise, simple, and I do mean simple example of how to setup sendmail, so that I could use a text based mailer, like Pine 4.64, which I compiled for the system, so I can email from this box to my gmail or other accounts, and so on? This box is purely for my own use, not used as a multi-user system, or mail server. I do have a registered domain name, so once I get the basic sendmail working, I might try using register.com to point the IP to my home box, and email to it as a further experiment. I have had this box since 2001, and I used to use Solaris 9 on it. In those days, I did all these things like use sendmail, etc. but OpenBSD seems harder to configure, although I have to say that in general, OpenBSD is a great system and the basic OS install was unbelievably easy.

Depending on your needs, you might want to try using smtpd instead of sendmail. It's included in the OpenBSD base, and at least to me, seems much simpler than sendmail. The smtpd man page has instructions on how to convert from sendmail; and then the the man page for smtpd.conf has instructions on how to set things up.

To give you an idea of how much easier the configuration is than sendmail, here's my smtpd.conf:

listen on lo0

table aliases db:/etc/mail/aliases.db
table secrets db:/etc/mail/secrets.db

accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
accept for any relay via smtps+auth://mysmarthost@smarthost.example.com:465 auth <secrets>

Or, in other words: only accept mail locally, deliver local mail, and forward any non-local mail to the smarthost for delivery.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice; I was able to send mail from my OpenBSD VM on my laptop; will enable on my Sparc when I get back to town after the weekend.
For me, the thread is closed!