OpenVMS IPC and TCP/IP Programming

We have a requirement to port applications from Unix to HP Vax OpenVMS Server.

For this I need to self-educate on various IPC and networking APIs available in OpenVMS. I goggled a lot but could not find of how to implement Semaphores, Message Queues and all other forms of IPC available in Unix to VMS. Further more there are not a much beginner's tutorial on TCP/IP programming either for VMS.

It would be a pleasure if some one can help me out in anyform.

OpenVMS tcp documentation

Pardon my ignorance, isn't VAX dying? My company is porting everthing from VAX to unix.

That is SO funny - yea, dying - I started on VMS in 1987 - it was dying then. It's still around. VMS is a great OS - it was never marketed correctly. Almost like the Apple vs Microsoft (the early years) - Apple had it all - everything you could want a p.c. to do - yet, Microsoft blew them out of the water (work place) with something that didn't work as well, didn't look as good. Now Windows has everything Apple does.

Clustering/mirroring/raid in VMS is awesome - and ahead of anyone else. But they didn't market it right - their prices for maintenance and such was too high. When some of the UNIX flavors came out with clustering, they touted cluster 4 servers! VMS was clustering 32 or more.

Cobol's dying too...

Hmmm, I dun really mean it as a joke. I know that VMS is the king of clustering and I know that UNIX is an infant compared to VMS.

However, due to the high cost of maintenance, and lack of skilled ppl to support them, my company is indeed moving away from VMS.

I am still puzzled why are you moving in the opposite direction?

Not true - see short history of UNIX - UNIX 1969 VMS - 1978

And I'm a Solaris System Administrator - haven't touched VMS in years. But I remember it fondly and laugh when folks believe it's going away - it's been said for 20 years. Just the same as NT was going to replace UNIX. Each has it's own strenght and weaknesses - sometime the greatest weakness is the marketing done by the folks trying to sell the product.

Yeah, you are right. I always think that VMS has a longer history than UNIX, which is why it's a "dying" technology.

But I have yet to know the reason why is your compy moving to VMS from UNIX?

I never posted that my company was going from UNIX to VMS.