openbsd : cannot login

hi
OK. I don't know exactly what I did to system!
The system is OpenBSD 3.5.
It is 200MMX, 16MB ram 1.2 + 2.4 GB HDD. The system was running well. But a few days ago I try to unpack a big tar.gz file and the system uses most the cpu and ram for this. While the system unpacking the file I try to login from another tty and the system said to me
can login : acces denied
It didnt wait for password promt! Just after the "login: " prompt!
Then, when I complately logged out I couldn't login again up to now!
The system echos the message to the console
login : access denied
I started the system �n single user mode but connot find the "login" command!
What is gonig on!?!! I am confused, and dnot know what to do...

Thanks....

try to setup the login program, but I sink that it must be in /bin/ dir...

You can make a root disk with Toms Root Boot on it and access the system. From there, your guess is as good as mine. What was the tar ball that you opened? What was its purpose? Toms will get you in, but once in, only you can determine your course of action.

hi
thanks for your replies...
I decided to install the system again. Since I could not login, I turned the PC from the power switch so at the first boot, after this terrible power down, I gave lots lots of file system errors. There was no important data on the disk. It is better to install the system again.
I just wonder the reason of the problem!
I was trying to unpack the "sys.tar.gz". Not a very big packet maybe but big for a 200MMX PC :slight_smile:

Installing the login program is an alternative and I thought this choice once (before seeing the lots lots of errors)

I think, the reason may be a bad sector on the disk! Since my disks are very old it is possible for them to have bad sector on them. Is this possible !?

Thanks...

Fehmi Noyan S

Yes, It must be a bad sector, I've lost some of my info when my hdd was in the suitcase... After that he have an jne Mb of bads...

Goodluck in the system setup...!!!