Open Port 3306 for MySQL connection

I am needing to "un-block" port 3306 so that I can access MySQL from another PC.

When I installed Mandrake 8.1, I set the security level to high because it is going to be a web server. I believe I have to allow access to my ports now and I do not know the commands to do that.

If anyone could show me an example, that would be great.

If you are using iptables you would do something like:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 3306 -j ACCEPT

Put it into your firewall config file. Not sure on the mandrake specifics. On redhat it is in /etc/sysconfig/

It might also be ipchains, and not iptables. Not sure though which one is by default on Mandrake.

You should read an IPCHAINS-HOWTO on www.linuxdocs.org, it's very easy and fast to learn.

Also can you access your webserver right now? or you just can't get your mysql server?

I can access my webserver just fine. It's just accessing the database through an applet is not working. And I think it has something more to do with Apache and less to do with Linux.

It could be that you don't have the correct permissions or something of that sort in either apache or mysql server, check their READMEs or check out their sites for the problems you are having.

Personally I'm just learning the mysql administration and going to use it with PHP, so I don't think there's anything I could help with at this moment.

Cheers