NXClient/x-windows session without graphical workstation

I will preface this question with it has been a long time since I worked on Solaris and even then I wasn't that good :slight_smile:

I have a Solaris server at my fingertips and I would like to test running multiple instances of an open source EMR (Java Swing application) from the server over the WAN. X-Windows runs rather slowly (compared to RDP) over the WAN but I have read excellent reports of NXServer which compresses the X-Windows traffic.

I do not have a graphical workstation and I would have to confirm the server has a graphics card - certainly no hardware display attached as it is a hosted server running Solaris.

NXServer has a Solaris client/server Setting up NXServer for Solaris
but from what I have read you need to get the local user running an X-Windows session first before the NXServer can make that available to a connection client.

Is it possible to run my Swing/X-Windows app to some virtual display which I can then use or am I just dreaming this up?

thanks!

Greg

To determine if you have a graphics card.

run prtdiag

/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v | grep xvr
/usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v | grep pgx (older type of graphics card)

or

as root run eeprom

eeprom | grep output

if output-device = screen high chance there's a craphics card in the box
if outout-device = ttya it's probably connected to a serial device like maybe a wyse or dumb terminal