NMON for RHEL45 WS

Hi guys,

as per subject i am setting up NMON for the above OS but it is 64-bit Linux.

I downloaded the 32-bit NMON for RHEL45 as it is the only one available for RHEL45.

However, I ran into problem with the binary file.
# ./nmon_x86_rhel45
./nmon_x86_rhel45: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# rpm -qa | grep curse
ncurses-5.4-13

I guess I need to install the 32-bit libncurses.so.5 rpm?
Btw, where is a good source to download it?

Thanks in advance.

another option would be to create a symlink of your actual ncurses library to the one it is searching for.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I install the 32-bit libncurses found from rpm.pbone.net instead and I got a warning.
After installation, I test the nmon and it is able to work.

# rpm -i libncurses5-5.3-1.20030215.4sls.i586.rpm
warning: libncurses5-5.3-1.20030215.4sls.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 67f22696
#

Can anyone advise if this warning can be ignore?

Doing what you are doing can break things. You should not install rpms for a version of OS other than the one you are using. I had told you what to do.

You are doing this wrong.

Find the version of libcurses that came with the system and create a symlink in /usr/lib
like this:

ln -s <path to the libncurses> libncurses.so.5

if you are in the /usr/lib dir which is where it belongs

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I did follow your suggestion above for the symlink.

I have also add /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH but when i do a ldd on the nmon program, it still complaint it can't find libncurses.so.5.

I did logout and relogin again and echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the path is there.

Any idea what might have gone wrong?

what did you to to create your symlink?

if you do an ll in /usr/lib do you see libncurses.so.5 as a link to libncurses.so or some other file?
Also, you do not need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH as there is an ld.so.conf file as well as the fact that /lib and /usr/lib are default searched.

Hi Mark,

I did what you suggested earlier.

Create a symlink in /usr/lib directory and point to the 64-bit library libncurses.

# ls -l /usr/lib/libncurses*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Nov 10:50 libncurses.so.5 -> /usr/lib64/libncurses.so.5.4

I just check the /etc/ld.so.conf, it only had an include statement "include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf".
Inside this directory, there is only 2 files mysql-x86_64.conf and xorg-x11-x86_64.conf.

I think this should be the cause of not able to find the path to libncurses since no /lib and /usr/lib was mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

no. /lib and /usr/lib do not need to be mentioned.

Your only hope may be to install the 32 bit version, but that's not a great idea, in general.
Try creating a symlink in /usr/lib64 for libncurses.so.5

What does the documentation for nmon say?

Below is what it said:
If you have 64 bit processors and you are running a 64 bit Linux then you can still run the 32 bit nmon for Linux but only if you have the 32 bit compatibility Linux libraries installed.

The link for the download site:
nmon for Linux | Site / Download

do you have the 32bit environment also installed? If not, do that. libncurses should come with it, I'd imagine.

There are only limited items in the 32-bit library - /usr/lib.

That's why i have been looking for a 32-bit compatible libncurses rpm for RHEL4.5 since the beginning of this thread. :frowning:

check your install media for the 32bit compatibility packages.

Unfortunately I don't have the redhat installation media.
The box is a SUN machine and only came with the application recovery media.

Anywhere can I download a compatible 32bit libncurses.so RPM for RHEL4.5?

I'd check with CentOS repos. CentOS is a RHEL "clone" of sorts, in that they compile the source rpms from RH's site.

However, you may want to just get the entire package for 32bit compatibility.