NIS

Hello anyone... I am new to UNIX and I recently bought a Sparc 10 to play around with. Well, last night I executed something called EasyInstall in my /usr/etc/install directory and I selected to "Use NIS". Now when my system boots up it is looking for a NIS server to connect to and keep trying( timing out because I do not have a NIS Server). I cannot get to my login screen. Can anyone help me?

Is it NIS or NIS+? Typing "sys-unconfig" as root will remove either, but will also take all the network info with it. If this is OK, it's the simple way. When it reboots it will ask you all the necessary questions to reconfigure it.
The following will remove you from a NIS+ domain.

cp /etc/nsswitch.files /etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/init.d/rpc stop
rm -f /etc/.rootkey
rm -rf /var/nis/*
/etc/init.d/rpc start

I cannot even get to a login screen to login as root. During the boot process it checks all these devices and then it searches for a NIS server...the error looks something like this:
"could not connect to NIS server: will try again"

It will do this forever. How can I get to a login prompt?

Boot into single user mode and then follow the instructions previsouly mentioend to remove the NIS references. You can get to single user mode by hitting "Stop-A" during the boot process, and then typing: boot -s
at the "ok>" prompt.

I will try these when I get home and let you know how thing turn out....Thanks for your help.

That did the trick....Thanks for all your help!!!