NIS Automounts not mounting

Hello all,
I have a Solaris 10 SPARC server that crashed a couple of weeks ago and I finally got it up the other day. I am having some problems getting my NIS automounts to work though. It appears that NIS is working, but the /home directories are not mounting and users can not log in (I can log in with root from a thin client remotely). This is my primary server that runs everything for a couple thin clients running off of it. I don't know if I really need NIS (I am new to it), but it is how the server was configured before I started working here.

I ran a few commands to check if NIS is working and got this:

# ypwhich
mdc1

which is my server, so it recognizes that NIS is working.

# ypmatch adam passwd
adam:$1$JLcVC9OC$m297M2r/u5FT4Sajcj/7t1:1047:1:Adam:/home/adam:/bin/tcsh

so it appears to know how to get my log in credentials

# ypmatch adam auto.home
mdc1:/pool/home/adam

and that is where the my home directory is physically located at. I don't know if it is worth noting, but if I do ypmatch adam auto_home it does not find a map, I have not seen any files named auto.home on my server.

Before the crash the NIS automounts would map the home directories from /pool/home/adam to /home/adam. /pool/home which is shared out with the dfstab.

This is the output of my /etc/auto_master file:

#
# Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
# ident	"@(#)auto_master	1.8	03/04/28 SMI"
#
# Master map for automounter
#
+auto_master
/net		-hosts		-nosuid,nobrowse
/home		auto_home	-nobrowse

and my /etc/auto_home file:

#
#
# ident	"@(#)auto_home	1.6	03/04/28 SMI"
#
# Home directory map for automounter
#
+auto_home

One thing I found different on this server is that the yp directory with all the auto_* files is in /export/home/opt/yp (I believe due to storage limitations). I don't know if this is my problem, just though it may be relevant in helping troubleshoot.

The contents of my /export/home/opt/yp/auto_master file:

#
#
# ident	"@(#)auto_master	1.8	03/04/28 SMI"
#
# Master map for automounter
#
/net		-hosts		-nosuid,nobrowse
/home	auto_home	-nobrowse
/data		auto_data	
/apps		auto_apps
/adm		auto_adm
/-		auto_direct
/ATD		auto_ATD

and the contents of /export/home/opt/yp/auto_home:

#
#
# ident	"@(#)auto_home	1.6	03/04/28 SMI"
#
# Home directory map for automounter
#
rt	mdc1:/export/home/&	
david	mdc1:/pool/home/dkallus
butch	mdc1:/pool/home/butch
adam	mdc1:/pool/home/adam
*  mdc1:/pool/home/&

When I try to manually run the /export/home/opt/yp/auto_master automount I get permission denied for all 7 automounts listed.

Everything in my /etc/dfs/dfstab and /etc/vfstab are mounting with no problems and I can manually mount directories from my storage servers (which are one of my NIS automounts that are not working) with no problem. I have read a known problem for this is that there is already a directory under /home, but this is not the case.

One thing I will mention is that the cause of my server crash was some permissions getting changed (unknown cause), which caused it to not boot into multi-user mode. So I'm wondering if it is some residual permissions issue again.

I also noticed that I can su to any user, but when I try to cd ~ it takes me to /, not the users home directory. Also, I can not su to root once I su to another user, it says "su: Unknown id: root" (I am logged in as root, so I have to exit out of the user).

Here is the contents of my /etc/nsswitch.conf file:

#
# /etc/nsswitch.nis:
#
# An example file that could be copied over to /etc/nsswitch.conf; it
# uses NIS (YP) in conjunction with files.
#
# "hosts:" and "services:" in this file are used only if the
# /etc/netconfig file has a "-" for nametoaddr_libs of "inet" transports.

# NIS service requires that svc:/network/nis/client:default be enabled
# and online.

# the following two lines obviate the "+" entry in /etc/passwd and /etc/group.
passwd:     files nis
group:      files nis

# consult /etc "files" only if nis is down. 
hosts:      files nis dns

# Note that IPv4 addresses are searched for in all of the ipnodes databases
# before searching the hosts databases.
ipnodes:    files nis

# SUNRAY DEL networks:   nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
networks:	files nis [NOTFOUND=return] # SUNRAY ADD
protocols:  nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
rpc:        nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
# SUNRAY DEL netmasks:   nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
netmasks:	files nis [NOTFOUND=return] # SUNRAY ADD
bootparams: nis [NOTFOUND=return] files
publickey:  nis [NOTFOUND=return] files

netgroup:   nis

automount:  files nis
aliases:    files nis

# for efficient getservbyname() avoid nis
services:   files nis
printers:	user files nis

auth_attr:  files nis
prof_attr:  files nis
project:    files nis

Any thoughts or ideas?? All help is greatly appreciated!

---------- Post updated at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:22 AM ----------

Looks like I have the automount working now, Nothing shows up under /home until you cd into a directory. Once I went into /home/adam it created the mount under the /home directory like it is supposed to.

So now the only problem is I can only login with my account and root, but none of my users can login still, and I can't su to root when I login as myself (or su back to root after I su to one of my customers while logged in as root). My login credentials and home directory are in the same location as my users.

I am thinking it may be from my yp files being in the wrong location, how can I check the file locations that the server is checking when someone attempts to login, or where NIS is looking for the NIS files.

Any other idea's?

The Solaris automounter has a magic _ and . mapping. If you specify auto.home it looks for auto.home first then for auto_home - and vice versa.
Nothing shows up under /home because there is 1. -nobrowse option for the auto.home map and 2. it can only "browse" the 3 real user entries - not the other users that match in the * wildcard. E.g. /home/userx does not show up, but a cd /home/userx will attempt to mount mdc1:/pool/home/userx
Once it is mounted, it will show up for some time.
I guess that /export/home/opt/yp/ holds the source files for the NIS maps, and that your current system is the NIS master server.
To clarify please give results of the following commands:

ypcat -k auto.home
ypcat -k ypservers

Thanks for your response MadeInGermany. The /home automount issue seems to be resolved, makes more sense after the clarification you provided. Below is the output of the commands you requested.

# ypcat -k auto.home
wagner mdc1:/pool/home/wagner
yajun mdc1:/pool/home/yajun
david mdc1:/pool/home/dkallus
butch mdc1:/pool/home/butch
adam mdc1:/pool/home/adam
rt mdc1:/export/home/&    
* mdc1:/pool/home/&
ypcat -k ypservers
mdc1

That is correct, /etc/home/opt/yp holds all my NIS information (auto_master, auto_home, etc... files, passwd, shadow, groups, symbolic links to /etc/hosts, etc...) and mdc1 is my primary (and sole) NIS server for this location.

I am going to close this thread as this problem has been resolved for the most part. If anyone is wondering it wound up being all sorts of permissions problems under /devices/pseudo, I'm not sure exactly which permissions change fixed my issue of users not logging in, but I think it was either the pts@0:* or ptsl@0:tty* files. I have some other issues still, but I will open up a new thread with a more accurate title for that problem.

The following is required to change the ownership of pts devices at the user's login:

ls -l /usr/lib/pt_chmod
-r-s--x--x   1 root     bin        10012 Jan 24  2007 /usr/lib/pt_chmod

Check integrity of the entire package:

pkgchk SUNWcsu
1 Like

The pkgchk SUNWcsu was very helpful, it had a long list of files with incorrect permissions. Is there a way to check all the permissions for the key files on the system?

Just pkchk checks *everything*.
But is certainly too picky. For example many files in /etc/ *must* have changed contents.
A more simple check that only lists wrong owner/group/permissions:

while read path ftype class mode owner group junk
do
  [ "$ftype" = "f" ] &&
  find "$path" \! \( -perm $mode -a -user $owner -a -group $group \) -ls
done < /var/sadm/install/contents

For any file you can simply grep the correct attributes from the contents file, for example

grep /usr/bin/lp /var/sadm/install/contents
1 Like