NIM errors

Hello all,
I have a NIM master already up and running. When I try to add a client to the NIM environment (from client side), I get the following errors:

1) 0042-376 niminit: This command cannot be executed on a NIM master unless the "is_alternate" attribute is specified.
(I never configured this client as a NIM master)

2)0042-011 lsnim: Unable to access the /etc/niminfo file.
(there is no /etc/niminfo file in the client machine)

Any help will be heartly appreciated.

thanks

Which command did you use to get the machine registered as a client to the NIM master?

Have you enabled the "clients are allowed to register themselves" (or similar - i can't remember the correct phrase right now) on the masters side?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

"Allow Machine To Register Themselves as Clients? = True
this is the entry in the master machine.

Perhaps the criteria for being identified as a NIM master is not a NIM master setup but the mere existence of the corresponding fileset.... Assuming that the master fileset is bos.sysmgt.nim.master (writing from memory) try this as root:

# lslpp -l bos.sysmgt.nim.master && installp -ugx bos.sysmgt.nim.master

so that only the client fileset remains. Then try to register the client with the real master again.

Shockneck,
the output of the command that u mentioned above came without any error. But when I am trying to register the client with the master (from client), the new error encountered is:
ksh:niminit: 0403-006 Execute Permission Denied.

thanks

That error message is delusive. Check the way that master and client communicate with each other. Does the client allow the master to control it remotely? Check for a .rhosts entry on the client allowing root access from master. Is the rshd active?