NFS server problems [merged]

I have a machine A NFS mounted on machine B

I am doing a build from machine B on the MFS mounted dir of machine A but I keep getting the following:

NFS server A not responding still trying.

I go to machine A and can log onto machine A and everything seems fine.

How do I go about finding the problem ?

Thanks

I have a machine A NFS mounted on machine B

I am doing a build from machine B on the MFS mounted dir of machine A but I keep getting the following:

NFS server A not responding still trying.

I go to machine A and can log onto machine A and everything seems fine.

How do I go about finding the problem ?

Thanks

You can try the following (after reading the man page for your OS to insure it will work):

rpcinfo -T udp remotesystemname nfs

change nfs to mountd and check it also.

You didn't put what version of OS and possibly what version of NFS.

Check your network traffic between your system and the remote system - you can sometimes lose connectivity due to the amount of traffic on the wire. Check your two systems and the times you get the messages - what else is going on (backups, everyone reading their mail at 08:00 in the morning).
Check your patch level for your OS especially for NFS.

Both machines are Sun boxes. One has Solaris 7 and the other has Solaris 8

Another problem that could cause NFS to be VERY busy - core files from users - our site has a network GUI that they seem to be able to crash very easily - since they could create core files, the file would be created on their home directory (on another server via NFS). This can keep the NFS server so busy (with just one core file) that it will start giving the same error.

Some things come to mind:

1. Please always remember to provide detail info regarding
    your problem, like what OS (brand, version) the machines are running ? How much memory does each server have and what
    kind of load(s) are the 2 servers under ? It makes answering questions easier.

2. Is there a lot of traffic on your network ?

3. Are the cables flakey ? What about other network communication ? Is that normal ?

4. How many nfsd processes are running on server A ?

Best Wishes

This same question was posted in two places. I have merged the two together to keep the questions / answers together.

Please do not fragment your questions - let's keep the questions / answers in one place.