NFS mount point problem

Hi Forum
I am trying to mount /NFS as nfs mountpoint on two servers ( A & B ).
After mounting the nfs filesystem, both of them behave normally for around 10 mins and after that the NFS file handle become stale and the
mountpoints dont respond. While executing df -kh, the output hang out and the /var/log/messages show the following message:

May 27 15:48:56 earth mountd[3078]: Cannot export /NFS, possibly unsupported filesystem or fsid= required
 May 28 04:04:20 earth kernel: nfs: server nas not responding, still trying
 May 28 10:11:51 earth kernel: nfs: server nas not responding, still trying

The fstab enteries for /NFS mountpoint on both servers is :

nas:/NFS               /NFS                 nfs   rw,bg,hard,nointr,tcp,nfsvers=3,timeo=600,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,acti
meo=0 1 2

/etc/export enteries on both server is :

/NFS *(rw,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_locks,no_root_squash)

Please let me know how can I fix this issue.
Thanks in advance,
Raj.

what happens when you leave this out of your conf line in fstab?:

timeo=600

Also, just a tip: df -h is human readable and -k is for KB. Using both seems to not make much sense. It will use the last switch, in your case, -h.

No, it didnt help out.

Does your NAS device have any logs?

Check and ensure that you are not using jumbo frames on some of the devices, and that all the network MTU sizes are the same.

Nas is the first server itself. There are no separate logs for this server.

The jumbo frames are not enabled and mtu is same on all boxes.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks,
Raj.

You are re-exporting /NFS on both servers which is an NFS volume mounted from the NAS. You can't do that. You need to remove it from /etc/exports..

Its still not working after removing enteries from /etc/exports.

The mountpoint still turns stale after around 15 mins.

Thanks,
Raj.

---------- Post updated at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:56 PM ----------

Its still not working after removing enteries from /etc/exports.

The mountpoint turns stale after around 15 mins.

Thanks,
Raj.

Did you unexport the filesystems (exportfs -u)?

This command also got stuck with same message in /var/log/messages

kernel: nfs: server nas was not responding, still trying

Thanks,
Raj.

try restarting the nfs daemon and then unexport them from all but the first machine. Have you considered autofs?

Restarted nfs daemon, & unexported from all machines except one. But didnt work.

I am new to linux, so dont have much info about autofs.

Thanks for help

If all else fails and you are not too versed in Linux, it is probably fastest to just reboot your servers if you have that possibility.

is it failing on all machines? Are you mounting the same /NFS that is a local filesystem and the nas:/NFS on /NFS on the same machine?

I would change your configs, scrub them, reboot and start over.

I have rebooted the servers/NFS several times. But they work fine for initial 10-15 mins only.

/NFS is the local moutpoint on local filesystem at first Server ( which is also NAS).

I am trying to mount /NFS on first server & its automatically mounts on client machines.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks...

---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:51 PM ----------

The problem is solved. My mistake was:
I was putting same enteris in /etc/fstab on both servers. The enteries in server ( first box) were supposed not to have the server name.

Thanks u all for ur advice.... :slight_smile:

hi raj
first you mount nfs mount point in a normal way . then try with /NFS

---------- Post updated at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:37 AM ----------

your welcome.