Newbie: RH Linux: Mounting vfat as readable

Hi there!
I have a question about mounting a file system as readable.
I have the following line in my fstab for that purpose:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/nt vfat defaults 0 0
It mounts the filesystem but I can only read from this, not write :frowning: what do I have to change to make it readable?
TIA!

Do you mean "writable"?
Also, I'm making a very far-fetched guess based on the mount point name (/mnt/nt) that you're mounting a drive with Windows NT on it...
If that is true, please double check what filesystem you're using before trying to mount it read-write. If it's FAT32, try mounting it as "umsdos" with option (you can specify options with the mount command using the option "-o") "rw". See the man pages for mount and try the man page for "fs" (describes filesystems).

Now, if you're using NTFS, do not mount it read-write. Leave it read only (most Linux system leave NTFS read-write ability out of the kernel by default), otherwise you will corrupt the NTFS volume unless you run some special utilities afterwards - still, even then no guarantees...

Please post back with more information if you have more questions.

Sorry about my poor description of the problem!

I have a dualboot box with RedHat 8.0 & Win2K Pro. Win2K is installed on hda1 which is a FAT32 disk. It is FAT32 for the purpose of having less problems when mounting under linux. I'll try the options You gave me as soon as I get home!
Tnx

P.S. I was probably very sleepy when I wrote it, I meant writable, sorry! :o

Ok, I tied ur suggestion and it worked!
Now I have a small problem. How can I permit any user to write to this partition? Right now only root can do this.
I guess I have to put something else instead of default in fourth column...?
tnx!

if /win2k is your mount point.. you need to set the write permissions for group/others using chmod...

Cheers!
Vishnu.