newb at scripting how would I do this?

Hi guys.

I have been lurking for quit some time attempting to learn on my own but I have reached an impasse.

I need to extract specific details from from a text file that I get and parse it out into separate files with the name of each individual and the date it was proccess. Then within each file file it with the pertaining info for that user. In this case it is the cell phone usage and cost for them that is in the file.

I have attached the file for anyone who wishes to look at it.
the monthly file is what I get every month.
the other is what I am trying to make the output look like including the name.

I have tried everything I can think of but since I am a noob without any skill I have run into an impasse.

I can't even figure out a way to skip the first 11 lines and the very last line.

My largest concern is learning the logic behind doing this.
However I have banged my head on the wall :wall: for 3weeks with very little progress.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try this...

awk -F\" 'BEGIN{ printf("%-15s\t%-10s\t%-20s\t%-10s%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\n",
"Name","Number","Service Plan Name","Charge","Phone Daytime Usage","Phone Daytime Charges","Phone Evening Usage",
"Phone Evening Charges","Phone Weekend Usage","Phone Weekend Charges")} /Total/{next} /^"Name/{t=1;next} 
{if(t>0){printf("%-15s\t%-10s\t%-20s\t%-10s%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\t%-20s\n",$2,$4,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12,$13)}}' 
input_file

--ahamed

Wow thank you so much.
that was one heck of a fast response.
in 3 weeks I could not figure this out. and you did it in 15mins :eek:

I have so much to learn

Again thank you