New to Solaris, want to only install the console

Hi all,

I just found out I will need to start learning solaris at work. I downloaded Solaris and want to install it as a VM. The install ISO was about 2GB and I didn't see any options not to install the GUI. Is there a way to do the install so I only boot to the console and not install any of the extra software packages? I'd to only have the console to learn the commands better.

Thanks!

it is better to install the whole thing unless you realy know what you are doing! after installation you can use ssh or telnet (but better ssh) to work on the commanline environment.

You can run your solaris without graphic. Let's google for "init" command.

Luck!

Thanks guys, i found i can log in with the console as well instead of using the GUI. I'm making myself some beginners practice exercises.

why would someone run solaris over a linux distribution? What do you guys compare when selecting an OS? I would image hardware and technical support would be a big factor, other than that is it just personal preference?

You can disable the GUI with the "dtconfig -d" command. However, I see no advantage doing it compared to running terminal emulators on the GUI.