new hd of 120 gb

i have 120 gb hd external (new --- no partition --- no frmat)

i am using fc5

i need to partition and format my hd as (30 fat32, 40 ntfs , 20 ext2 , 30 as free)

please help me anybody

Hi!

Are you planning to have a dual boot system? (FC5/Windows) If you are, I suggest you install Windows first, then install FC5 afterwards. Linux distros usually have an OS autodetection software as part of the installation process. Before booting up to the distro, it detects if the PC has previously installed OS aside from the one being installed. Then it installs and configures boot loaders (usually GRUB or LILO), to be installed to the MBR to be initialized first prior to booting. It's kinda similar to the menu that appears when you press F8 on a Windows startup screen. Hope I provided u some help. Good Luck!!!

aEtherv0id

Debian GNU/Linux, Windows XP Dual Boot
AMD Duron 700 MHZ
256 MB SDRAM

i have windows xp ( i know partition 32,ntfs)

but i need from linux

So you have already installed windows? Now all you have to do is boot your FC5 cd, and follow the instructions for installing the system. Choose which boot loader to install (GRUB or LILO). If you want to resize the partitions as (30 fat32, 40 ntfs , 20 ext2 , 30 as free), you can do so in Windows, since you have that installed already. Use a third party partition manager like PartitionMagic. WARNING: Resizing a partition containing data may result in data loss or corruption. Back-up your data first before resizing :wink:

thank a lot for ur advise for partition and formating

can anybody say me about

how i can search a file in entire volume using ls and find commands

like dir abc.txt /s in windows

ie i need to find the location of file or filename from root

regards

This has probably been answered here before many times, but ...

find / -name "abc.txt"

will search everything under the root directory '/' for a file with the name 'abc.txt'. The wildcard character is "". Remember to use quotes around the filename if you use "".

Hi, group

Just wondering suppose you have linux already installed & now you get a new disk so that your computer has two disks. How do you go about partitioning/slicing the new disk in linux ? which utility do you use ?

Regards

thank for nathan giving me simple commands and helping me

also from the reply of msororaji i conclude that any linux

user is not using more than 1 hd. that is all

to all friends

i am using fc5 . working properly

i configured samba , i can access windows files,folders from my linux
now i need to share my linux files,folder to windows (xp,2000). how i can from gui.

also pls anybody explain me how i can share linux desctop with windows

and vice versa.

ur quick response will be highly appreciated.