Network routing

hi,
not an expert in Solaris networking so would like to ask your opinions

Say i want to configure packet routing from source 10.126.120.130 (A) to destination 10.214.140.9 (B).

I configured it this way (shown in netstat -rn) on (B)

Destination        Gateway                 Interface
=======          =======                 ======
10.0.0.0           10.214.140.1
10.214.0.0        173.20.50.65
10.214.140.0     10.214.140.9           vmnet1

where vmnet1 has interface address 10.214.140.9.
May I know if I have configured it properly?
I want packets to go from (A) to (B).

thanks

No need to apologise for not knowing. We all have to learn. Asking questions and showing your efforts is great. I hope that someone can help you as I'm guessing it's not working given that you are asking the question.

You are right that both ends will need to know how to send packets to the other, unless you are using UDP. The more usual TCP is a bit like sending a parcel with recorded-delivery so an acknowledgement is returned by the receiver. Using UDP is more like just sending a postcard and hoping from a holiday abroad it gets there.

I have two questions initially:-

• Do you have a default route/gateway for all the traffic without a match in your list?
  • Can you give us the output from netstat -rn on server A too please?

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

If you want packets to go from A to B, you should show us first the routing info on A, then B, and the netmasks. From what you show, A should be reachable from B.
Not knowing too much of "Solaris networking" either, that second line having an external gateway for an internal network surprises me a bit...

Thanks,

I find that there is no default router on B. What would happen if there is no defaultrouter defined?

in simple words:
B does not know how to send packets to A

regards...

I realise that I'm coming to this thread very late so what I write may not be relevant.

On a straightforward Solaris configuration the default router is defined in

/etc/defaultrouter

This file contains only the ip address of the default router on the first line of the file, left justified, so very easy to create manually and reboot. For example:

Then, faced with any request that it doesn't know where to send, the system will send it there.

Hope that helps.

Just a comment, /etc/defaultrouter is deprecated and no more used with Solaris 11 and newer. It is still used with Solaris 10 though, which looks like what the OP is running.

2 Likes

@jlliagre.....yes, good point, thanks.