Network interface not found ?

Hello,
I have just installed Solaris 9 x86 in a VMWare and the 1st problem I have is to enable the networking. I can only see the loopback interface and nothing else.

• I dont have any /etc/hostnames.xxx
  • ifconfig -a shows only the loopback
  • kstat -c net shows only the loopback ...

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Tex.

maybe use solaris nevada... it has a better vmware support.

Home at OpenSolaris.org

i never tried solaris 9 in vmware...

see if you can get a list of attached devices under prtconf or /etc/path_to_inst. off the top of my head i don't exactly remember which will give you better output. but you'll probably see bge0, ce0 and so on. try and plumb the device if you can find it.

its a vmware machine! so it should be vmnet0 or something like thet. but i don't know if solaris 9 runs in a vmware environment!

haha good point. i kinda glazed over that. well... i only have limited experience with vmware but i'm trying to remember if it was something on vmware's side of the deal. because it should be auto discovering that interface right? maybe a "properties" kinda thing and you need to specify how vmware is to allocate interfaces.

so i checked out this pdf: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf looks as if solaris 9 is good to go for an install.

also looking over some of this stuff. i found this.

now i know its solaris 10 but this could be very similar to what is going on in 9. does vmware tools need to be installed in order to make this interface come up as vmxnet?

This was a double post so I deleted it, sorry

Hello,
1st of all, thank you for your answers.

I tried prtconf but it shows nothing that looks like a network interface. I did install vmware tools and the installation went ok. But I still dont have any network interface.

I have to use Solaris 9 cos I have to have the same environment as my real hardware for testing.

On the vmware side, I attached one host to host net iface which seems to be connected properly and I dont know what else I can change.

The .vmx file contains this section

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

Some people also say that I have to edit the .vmx file and add

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

I did it but then my VM fails to start saying

Tex

On real soralis I use

# grep -i net /etc/path_to_inst

It will show all network interface that you can "plumb <interface_name>"

But on Vmware I'm not sure it's works or not?

aRm_nAja

this doesn't work for ALL interfaces! if you are on solaris 10, "dladm show-dev" is the best command (afaik) to use.

for example on my sparc 280r machine:

root@miraculix # grep -i net /etc/path_to_inst
"/pci@8,700000/network@5,1" 0 "eri"
root@miraculix # dladm show-dev
eri0            link: unknown   speed: 100   Mbps       duplex: full
qfe0            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
qfe1            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
qfe2            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown
qfe3            link: unknown   speed: 0     Mbps       duplex: unknown

the qfe interfaces are missing in the first command.

Oh Tex need help on solaris9.

yes, but he has no interface in his vmware environment. and also the "kstat -c net" shows only the loopback interface. so the problem ist not to find the interface. the problem is, there is NO interface :wink: