Network Card Help

I have been having trouble with my sis900 neytwork card in slacwkare linux. I tried to modprobe the sis900, it didnt give me any errors but it didnt load it. so I put in a realtek 8139 network card and tried it too. These are the errors i get with the two cards when trying to do insmod on either of them:. I would much prefer if i could get my sis900 working, it works fine in redhat using the sis900 module.

i put in a realtek 8139 card and tried it. this is the error i got when doing "insmod 8139too":
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz: unresolved symbol mii_ethtool_sset
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz: unresolved symbol mii_link_ok
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz: unresolved symbol mii_ethtool_gset
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o.gz: unresolved symbol mii_nway_restart

the error i got from doing "insmod sis900":
Using /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o.gz
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o.gz: init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o.gz: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

is there anyway to fix either of these?

Why are your modules compressed (.gz)? Is that a Slackware thing? I havent used that distro since about 1995, so I'm not up to date on the quirks.

Why don't you use 'modprobe' to load your modules instead? It will automatically load any dependencies for you. The output from your 8139too module looks like it depends on something else. modprobe should take care of that for you.

Hope that helps.

OK... new problem kindof... but its almost the same.
I had to take off slacwkare. Then i put on RedHat8.0 and it wouldnt load teh module for my sis900 card.
I did modprobe sis900 and this is what happened:

[root@localhost src]# modprobe sis900
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva
lid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-1
4/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/net/sis900.o: insmod sis900 failed

I have redhat 7.2 on the computer too and my sis900 module works fine. I really need to get the sis900 working, is there anything else i should try to get it to work?

i figured out the problem. I viewed the output from dmesg and found:
PCI: this computer doesnt support PCI

so i added "pci=bios" to the entry for redhat8 and it works fine now.