Need help on Volume group for AIX 6.1

Please let me know which volume group will be suitable for creation of 5 TB for datavg norma,big,scalable

I would go for the big volume because you might be short with the default value of 32 PV but we cant say much more as it mostly depends on the PV size you wish to use...

It makes no sense to create anything else than scalable VGs any more.

On the downside scalable VGs cannot be used in AIX versions prior to 5.3. Should you need to move the VG between such an (already completely) unsupported system and the AIX 6.1 LPAR you are the exception to this rule.

On the upside: everything else. The minimally slower operation of some of the VG-manipulating commands set aside (you probably will not even notice the difference) set aside scalable VG are more flexible, more easily extendable and offer more maximum space.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks for reply, but scalable VG will work as there are 5 disk of 1 TB each? I mean to say 5 physical disk of 1 tb each

The main concern is the PV size ... how long will you have this system running? lets say 5 years, in 5 years the SAN, NAS and all disk evolve so fast now that what would be a normal standard disk size? 1T is very common now...
as the only limitation you can overcome like that is the 1016 cylinder per disk, you have to choose a PP size that can meet you future needs for lets say a possible 5 T disk