Need help on shell script to monitor each user cpu use on a cluster over time

Hi,

I am relatively new to the cluster administration and shell scripting. I need help on a shell script which can help me determine how many cpu's over time, any particular ( or all registered users on a cluster ) are using. To generate data say over a period of week and list of users and their cpu usage.

I will appreciate your help.

Thank you !

What OS? Linux? Solaris? What shell?

/bin/bash

---------- Post updated 08-14-12 at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-13-12 at 08:39 PM ----------

I will appreciate any help, thank you.

Hi Anuj06,

As Jim said, what is the OS - Solaris, Linux, HPUX, OSF, AIX or several others they all have clustering.

Regards

Dave

Linux

---------- Post updated at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:56 AM ----------

Linux, sorry I thought /bin/bash is for linux. Thank you

Hi Anuj06,

Is process accounting turned on?

Check for the file /var/log/pacct as this should have some or all the information that you need in it. It can be extracted using the "dump-acct" utility.

Or you could check and see if the sa command is available - but this can generate huge volumes of data.

Regards

Dave

It seems, I don't have permission.

couldn't open file '/var/account/pacct': Permission denied

Will this help in turning process accounting on: Process Accounting Setup on Linux

I initially thought, that may be using a script that monitor "qstat" over time,and with some command tricks I can filter required information.

Thank you ,

Anuj