Need help in making bootable USB flash with customized 12.04

I'd like to make bootable USB flash with 12.04 desktop on it with some additional packages and customizations, such as added language.

What I tried so far - I went through pendrivelinux.com ISO to USB program and have working bootable USB with 12.04 desktop on it. The problem is all my changes do not persist on the USB, whatever I tweaked/customized/added disappears after the reboot.

I have P4 machine under XP with 2 hard drives, one I could erase if there is a need to store my customized system.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Well, that's kind of what Linux on cdrom does. If they just took the ISO image and mounted it on loopback, you'll get no more.

If you wanted a live system that you can edit, install on the flash drive like it's a hard drive.

This might be at least a starter...

HDDless USB bootdisk

Thanks, wisecracker.
I read that post, so the idea is to have Live DVD, partition the USB and make Live USB in the 1GB temp partition, then boot from Live USB and make actual instal and target the unused (2nd) partition of that USB drive. I hope there is no misunderstanding here on my part.

A quick question - what would be the reason for build Live USB step? Could I just boot from Live DVD and do actual install targeting my USB?

Just a note to myself and anybody who will follow - disconnect HDD that should not be used, so not to wipe your good disk by mistake.

Three reasons:-

1) It WAS for my netbook, therefore no optical drive.
2) It ensures from start to finish that the correct _drive_ is being installed to.
3) The small WIndows partition makes for easy transfer of files from a Windwoes
box to a Linux box...

It will NOT work from USB live from one USB slot to a second USB stick
in a second USB slot. Don't even attempt it...

As I have the DVD-ROM, I was able to install system on the USB drive directly.

A note - I had to insert the drive after Live CD was up and running, otherwise it would be 'in use', although I could not find the culprit.

Another note - system boots up and then performs pretty slowly, similar to boot from CD experience, although it reported the USB 2 (enhanced) being used for the USB drive.

Hi migurus...

That is the problem with USB sticks. They are not known for their speed.

That is why I chose PCLinuxOS 2009 for my netbook.

Remember! USB2 is only _theoretically_ capable of 480Mb/S, this sounds/looks fast but the overheads are very high, especially if it is being used as a _boot_port_.

The upside however, is, that it makes a machine like my netbook fully usable as a tool again.

So it requires the CD, and acts like the CD in speed? Is it accessing the CD when you do things?

After the install I removed CD and rebooted from USB drive, so it was not accessing CD at all. But the system responsiveness is slow, even terminal comand line has a lag. I take it as USB drive r/w speed and throughput are far from SATA HDD. On the plus side it is quiet, portable and cheap!