Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for now I really could use some clarification on the two different tasks I need to setup in csh.

First one I've got about halfway finished. The assignment is to write a csh script that takes in a file and a directory name as parameters, validates that both arguments exist, then reads in a list of file names located in the parameter file and creates backups of those files within the param directory. I've got the permissions down, and I think I can handle creating the backup files, but I can't figure out any good way to read the file names from within the param file. Any commands I should be aware of here?

Second, and I haven't quite gotten very far on this one just yet, I need to create a simple script program which displays a welcome message to the user that opens it, but is only accessible from a specific terminal. Accessing the script from a different terminal should cause the program to immediately exit. Seems simple enough, but I don't know how to access the terminal ID or find any way to identify it.

If anyone is feeling generous enough to offer some assistance/clarification, I would greatly appreciate some help here. I'm pretty well stuck.

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.