Need advice for project UNIX to Linux migration

I am working on UNIX AIX to Linux migration.
Does anybody know the good site for doing this?

Thanks for contribution

For you as a sysadmin, learn 'Linux'.

The real work here is for those teams working to port their applications from AIX to the new platform.

Your request is not clear.

Do you already know programming and Sys Admin for both environments?
It woudl seem that would be your first step - to understand each.

I know programming, but not in full. For example, I don't know if existing on AIX shell scripts, C shell, Korn shell will work on Linux or we have to convert them to bash. Also, Does Linux have newest version of Perl or we have to download it?
As far as I know I will have to recompile C, C++, Pro C programs using gcc compiler.

Could you please answer my questions?

Thanks for contribution

You could always install ksh on Linux. Which flavour are you going to?

That will get you close, but often ksh is a link to bash which then emulates the ksh functionality closes but not exactly. I'm an AIX person more than anything else, but generally scripts should be transferable. Testing is definitely required though. As for csh, try to re-write it and get rid. There are many arguments to get rid of csh, including Csh Programming Considered Harmful

Compiled code, on the other hand, will need to be either compiled again if it is your own, or the correct version from your supplier needs to be installed for your particular flavour of the OS.

As a general assistant, you also have Rosetta Stone for Unix to help with all the "It's the same, but different!" issues. Sadly there is no mksysb by default, but there are commercial and free options, depending on your needs.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

1 Like