Need a shell script which takes two inputs and copy the files from one directory to other

Hi,
I am using solari 10 OS which is having bash shell.
I need a shell script which takes user home directory and name of the file or directory as a input and based on that copy the files accordingly to the other directory.

example:I hava a machine1 which is having some files in a directory /spa/5.0/incude/file1 etc.

say I have user1. I want to give user1 and name of the file or directory say file1or dir1 as input to the script .based on the input given ,script should search for the filesor directory recursively in the /spa/5.0/incude directory and copy the files to the user home directory.

If files or directory not found then it should prompt a message saying directory or file does not exist.

Advance thanks for the input.

#$1 space separated file/directory names

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
    printf "specify atleast one file or directory name to copy\n"
else
    while read fdname
    do
        if [ ! `find /spa/5.0/incude/ -xdev -name $fdname` ]; then
            printf "$fdname not found\n"
        else
        find /spa/5.0/incude/ -xdev -name $fdname | while read file
                                                    do
                                                        cp -r $file ~
                                                    done
        fi
    done < $1
fi

Sorry for the delayed response.I have tried the following script and got the folllowing error.

-bash-3.00$ sh testscript.sh sa0_upd_estd_shipmn.shx
testscript.sh: sa0_upd_estd_shipmn.shx: cannot open

I have given full permission to the file sa0_upd_estd_shipmn.shx and the file is present in /spa/5.0/include directory.
still it is giving error.appreicate any help on it.

In post #1 you consistently spell the directory name /spa/5.0/incude

Which is correct?

Extremely sorry for the typo error.Actual directory is /spa/5.0/include .I have done this change in the script i.e replacing /spa/5.0/incude with /spa/5.0/include but there is no luck.

output:

-bash-3.00$ more testscript.sh
if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
else
    while read fdname
    do
        if [ ! `find /spa/5.0/include/ -xdev -name $fdname` ]; then
        else
        find /spa/5.0/include/ -xdev -name $fdname | while read file
                                                    do
                                                        copy $file ~
                                                    done
        fi
    done < $1
fi
-bash-3.00$ sh testscript.sh sa0_upd_estd_shipmn.shx
testscript.sh: sa0_upd_estd_shipmn.shx: cannot open

In the syntax you post, $1 would refer to the name of a file from which you want to read the contents into the input stream in the script. This is not correct.

In your case I think that $1 contains a filename (or directory name) which you want to check whether it exist - and if it does, copy the file (or directory) to the user's home directory.
What is not clear is what happens when the parameter is a directory? Is the script going to attempt to copy that directory and all its contents or just copy the directory file?

All your examples there is only one input - $1 .

Hi,
thanks for the response.

In your case I think that $1 contains a filename (or directory name) which you want to check whether it exist - and if it does, copy the file (or directory) to the user's home directory--your statment is correct and if the mentioned directory or file does not exist it should throw an error message

What is not clear is what happens when the parameter is a directory? Is the script going to attempt to copy that directory and all its contents or just copy the directory file-------Requirement here is even if it is a directory it should traverse through the subdirctories and copy the subdirectories along with the files to the present directory or to the given input directory say /export/home/user1.i guess that point is not present in the script.

Let me know is this the info u r looking at?

try this

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
else
    fdname=$1
    dest=$2
    if [ "$dest" = "" ];then
        printf "no destination specified, file will be copied to current directory\n"
        dest=.
    fi

if ! find /spa/5.0/include/ -xdev -name $fdname; then
    else                                             
        find /spa/5.0/include/ -xdev -name $fdname | while read file
                                                        do
                                                            cp -R $file $dest
                                                        done
    fi                                                    
fi

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.I have tested with one file it went fine and copied the file to the mentioned destination path.

But,if i give more than one file it is not getting copied to the mentioned destination directory.

One more point is if i give directory as a input it is not copying the directory to the mentioned destination.

Advance thanks for your reply.