Need a ksh scripting tool

Hi guys,
I am new in Unix/linux field. I need a >>tool which is running on windows xp and provide the >>Korn shell scripting environment.
As I used cygvin, but it is bash shell and most of the command of unix is not supported by cygwin.:confused:
please suggest..... :slight_smile:
thanks in advance.........

I believe pdksh is available from cygwin

1 Like

You can use original ksh93 also in cygwin.
Download

1 Like

Try Microsoft Services For Unix: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=896c9688-601b-44f1-81a4-02878ff11778

1 Like

Interestingly, David Korn (the k in ksh) developed a cygwin like solution which includes ksh as default shell: uwin

1 Like

I'm surprised you say most of the unix command are not supported by cygwin. I've found it quite a good environment to play around with unix commands.

If the output of a cygwin commands is different to my destination unix platform (good example here is the ps -ef output). I run the command on unix and save the output to a file - I can then process this in my cygwin script and slot the actual ps command in before doing the beta testing on unix.

1 Like

thanks guys...
I am working on your suggestions ....
If I comfortable with any >tool , I let you know...
thanks again... :wink:

---------- Post updated at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:20 PM ----------

hi Chubler_XL
as i used CYGWIN, it is not supporting the 'clear' command....
so i searched, nd wnt for "https://rubenlaguna.com/post/2007-09-26-bash-clear-command-not-found/ " this solution but not worked.. tell me how do i fix this ??

Install Ubuntu or SuSe and use it.....

Really I have used cygwin X and it works for most things. But If I really want to know I use a UNIX system.

Chubler_XL hmm my cygwin install does clear ok. did you try tput clear. Maybe just missing the alias for it.

bash or ksh is not solution for your all problems. You need install more softwares from cygwin setup. Bash and ksh include only builtin commands, not externals.
You can do search in your cygwin setup. Ex. clear is part of default. (/bin/clear.exe).
tput is good command to use if you need lot of terminal servives like clear, bold, move cursor, ...
tput need terminfo.

tput clear   # works fine in every environment
# better way
clear=$(tput clear)  # run once, save output string and use it
#and then use 
echo $clear

Of cource it's always possible install some virtual machine environment to your Win system and then install some Linux. But if you need only "*nix command environment", then cygwin is okay solution.

Clear is part of ncurses package, here is the first result of a quick "cygwin clear command" google that shows how to get it installed.