Names/nicknames for certain punctuation

I know that forward slash and backslash are "whack" and "backwhack," and I know that a pound-sign or number sign is "crunch" and an exclamation point, "bang." What I would like to know is whether or not there's a popular nickname for the dollar sign. I call it "cash," but that may just be Yank conceit working its subtle way into my Linux experience.

Also (the question of the century), have they come up with a name for the @ sign yet? I'm inclined to borrow a bit from the German and call it an "At-St�ck" (At-Piece, -Item or -Thing), but I'm curious to see if anyone else has made suggestions.

BZT

No special name for the dollar sign here.

The @ sign, we just call "at".

In Dutch the @-sign is called "monkey tail" :slight_smile:

Pronunciation guide for Unix: pronunciation guide for unix

I still like my "at-st�ck." :slight_smile:

The one I have a bit of contention with is the "percent" sign. I just shorten the English word, 'harden' the c and say "perk." One might puzzle over it for a moment until they remember that the exclamation point is already called "bang" therefore I mustn't mean "perk" as in "perk up." (Hasn't caused much confusion so far around here.) At any rate, Mr Sheppard (ss64.com) has the following for %:

Just keeping it up to date.

BZT

I worked at a place where the the single quote was called (drum roll please) *quote* and the double-quote was called (and I am not making this up) a *scoogie*.

One of my co-workers calls the hyphen (-) a "tack". So the command "ls -l" sounds like "ell ess tack ell".

:confused:

Actually, in all the german-speaking countries, this is called a "Klammeraffe" (wordly: "clinging monkey", zool.: "spider monkey"), not an "at-piece".

bakunin

The guide has missed "shebang" for # and I also think that using "currency symbol" for $ is simply incorrect.