Mysql missing mysqld.sock (Linux)

I am trying to start a server for a class I am in but... mysql won't start with this error ( ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) )

---------- Post updated at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:50 PM ----------

Just so everyone knows I have checked the directory it says and there is no mysqld.sock file

You are running what's essentially a terminal... It doesn't do everything by itself, it just connects to a server. On a local system, it usually connects to the server through a UNIX domain socket.

Not finding a socket usually means the daemon isn't running.

How to fix this depends on your system.

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.