Music

Earlier thread: So... What are you listening to?

I listen to what I listen to. Any other activity I may be doing has little influence over my choice. The only real exception, if I'm sleepy and need to stay awake, hard rock is the way to go...and cranked up. I will listen to tunes while I work at, say, scrubbing the kitchen floor. I don't listen to anything while I'm coding. Even attempting to engage me in conversation will fail unless you persist enough to break my concentration. I must first stop coding...then I will hear you. Ditto anything requiring concentration.

Mostly I listen to British folk and folk rock. But I like lots of stuff. I don't take this as far as google... I do find some sub-genres to dislike. Google, listen to opera for an hour, then disco for an hour. Then tell me "Any kind of music is good music". I double dare you!

But techno is a very broad genre to dislike in total. I really like very hard trance (mostly German). Speedcore is starting to grow on me, but I'm still evaluating this. Or the other hand, I can pass on jungle and here my evaluation is complete. I loved synthesizers when I first heard Wendy (nee Walter) Carlos' Switched on Bach. Since then I have sought out anything involving synthesizers and that includes techno.

By the way, mix world music (a superset of british folk) and techno and you kinda get Dead Can Dance. I love them, but they're not for everyone.