Multipath.conf configuration max_fds

Hi all,

I am looking at the specific configuration settings for multipath.conf on RHEL5.5.

In particular i was looking at the max_fds setting. Can anyone tell me the max number of open file descriptors that the RHEL5.5 system can have?

It has been set previously to 8192, and i was wondering if this value is correct. should it be higher or lower and what are the implications of setting this value either higher or lower?

my current defaults are as below:

defaults {
        udev_dir                /dev
        polling_interval        10
        selector                "round-robin 0"
        path_grouping_policy    multibus
        getuid_callout          "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
        prio_callout            /bin/true
        path_checker            readsector0
        rr_min_io               100
        max_fds                 8192
        rr_weight               priorities
        failback                0
        features                "fail_if_no_path"
        no_path_retry           5
}

and my devices specific settings are as follows:

devices {
        device {
        vendor                  "(HITACHI|HP)"
        product                 "OPEN-.*"
        path_grouping_policy    multibus
        getuid_callout          "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
        path_checker            hp-sw
        path_selector           "round-robin 0"
        hardware_handler        "0"
        failback                0
        rr_weight               priorities
        no_path_retry           queue
}

If anyone has a good amount of experience on this and can provide any insight into any issues with this i would be grateful to hear it. The SAN disk it is attached to is an HP24000 disk array.

Cheers,
Tom

Depends on what you have configured. That's a tunable kernel parameter. You can see what you're currently configured at by cat'ing out the sysctl's value:

[root@campusweb master]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
[root@campusweb master]# 

It's a tunable parameter pretty much because there isn't a correct or incorrect number. If there were only one correct answer, or only one correct way to get to the one correct answer, then the kernel/multipathd would have been designed to just do that thing and leave you out of the mix. If you're not running into any starvation issues then you're ok. I've seen 8192 before plenty of places. It's an acceptable number (but I don't know what your workload is, that number is actually incredibly low if you're going to install Oracle for instance).

The same is true for the multipath.conf setting. They try to fix sane defaults but ultimately it's a tunable because for a lot of things humans are just better at picking configuration values than machines are. Symptoms of multipathd starvation issues include it throwing warnings to messages, not all paths being detected by multipathd, etc. AFAIK there aren't many drawbacks to having a high descriptor limit with multipath, it's just giving the administrator the ability to cap it off keeps multipathd from eating up all the file descriptors if some NetApp appliance (or whatever) goes schizo and starts presenting a million paths to the same LUN.

Long and short of it is: Play around with it, find something that seems to work well on that server and just save/document it.

Basically, this parameter controls how the kernel data structures are allocated in the kernel. Higher amounts of descriptors can slow down write/read operations, while too low of numbers can lead to descriptor starvation. Playing around with this number (while not damaging in any lasting way) isn't the only way to alleviate starvation. You might consider using limits.conf to set default limits for most users and just have the process that needs the most descriptors have a higher limit than everyone else (which is SOP for installing Oracle on a RHEL box, specifically to address starvation).

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, its more than i was hoping for on this. I know if you don't set the max_fds its default is just the maximum that the system can handle.

I haven't had much involvement with multipathing so i am trying to understand as much as i can to provide the best performance and reliability.

For reliability, that's mostly based on the type failover you want. I wouldn't try to get too fancy with the multipathd tuning, advanced configurations are hard to troubleshoot. Sometimes you need to do it, but without knowing what particular end you're going for it's probably better to leave it at defaults as much as possible. It's been a while since I've messed with multipath in production, but I'm pretty sure the only performance hit of multipath is it's failover time, so you're better off concentrating elsewhere for the performance tuning (I/O schedulers and all that).

Yeah, most of the settings are the defaults, however this was setup by another colleague of mine who is not working on Linux and i have taken full control. I thought it's better to understand it now rather than when we have some issues in future. I have already come across a fair few other problems which ive had to sort out, and SAN disks and their configurations seemed to be the cause. Not the multipathing settings but elsewhere, udev rules were changed with no knowledge of what they affected... and i have the joyous job of picking through it all conf file by conf file to see what needs resolving.