Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The following is the partition layout on an

IDE disc; /device/sda1 20G /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 20G /dev/ad0s1 20G

Please suggest how and �what order� I should install these OSs

First, to get started, please post the output of the following (wrap your cut-and-paste with code tags):

fdisk -l

Then, we will take it from there ....

You should install Solaris first because its install routine always writes its own bootloader and will overwrite any bootloader written down by a Linux distro.

1 Like

Hi,

The P4 I think went out of production about 15 years ago, I also think that it's really just an i486 - so it's likely to struggle anyway. However that being said I don't know of any definite reason where it won't work, so it may be that you will have to look at this a slightly different way.

If you have space for a second IDE disk, you could set your Linux installs on the first disk using GRUB, it should then be possible to install Solaris on the second disk and hand edit the GRUB boot loader to point at it.

I'm not sure if this could be done using LILO as well, I haven't used LILO for many years.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like