mpxio in Solaris10 with NetApp FAS3140 problem

we have a v440 SUN machine with a NetApp FAS3140 SAN storage, the v440 got 2 HBA qlogic cards both connected to the switch side in NetApp 3140, zoning in netapp configured proberly and luns are adversitesed to the SUN machine, the problem i am facing is that when i try to configure the mpxio i am still seeing 2 paths for each LUN??

luxadm probe
is showing 2 path for each lun
the command i used for mpxio was
stmsboot -D fp -e

is there anyone who can help me solve this issue ?!

i did the same with our old filer the NetApp FAS3020 and it didn't give me any issue with mpxio but with NetApp FAS3140 i am facing this issue ?!

what do you expect to see? there are TWO path to the luns... but if mpxio works correct, you should only see the luns once in "format".

i see double in format

i don't understand your commandline options for "stmsboot"?!

from manpage:

-e

Enables Solaris I/O multipathing on  all  fibre  channel
         (fp(7D))  controller ports. Following this enabling, you
         are prompted to reboot. During the  reboot,  vfstab  and
         the  dump  configuration  will be updated to reflect the
         device name changes.

-d

Disables Solaris I/O multipathing on all  fibre  channel
         (fp(7D)) controller ports. Following this disabling, you
         are prompted to reboot. During the  reboot,  vfstab  and
         the  dump  configuration  will be updated to reflect the
         device name changes.

so a "stmsboot -e" should be your command to run to "enable" mpxio... you might want to try the "-e" option alone without the "-D" option...

I have this issue all the time. If devfsadm doesn't collapse them (show one disk in format), blow away the lun and recreate it. Sometime this has to be done several times. I have taken the exact same steps every time but certain times blowing it away and repeating your steps automagically fixes it. Once you blow it away make sure you run devfsadm and once again after the lun is created.

Be careful to not just run "stmsboot -e" since it might mess up your boot mirrors if you have any. 'stmsboot -D fp -e" should be sufficient since your doing it for a fibre port.

the v440 don't have fc disks as boot devices, so "stmsboot -e" should work without any problems...

Problem is fixed from filer side, need offline the luns and activate ALUA and then online them back and remap them :slight_smile: now mpxio working :slight_smile: thanks for the help.

duke as kharjahn said stmsboot -D fp -e is the efficient way to activate mpxio for fiber only. dont use stmsboot -e it will activate mpxio for everything.

if you only have FC, which is in your case (V440) true, you can use the -e option without any problems. i use the "-u" option if i'll have to configure mpxio on a system. done a often and never had any problems...