Move a disk to Sol. 2.6

I removed an external Sun disk (with data on it) from an old 2.6 system and added the disk to another 2.6 system. The new system seems to recognize the system (verified by the format command).

When try to mount I am getting, I got the error:
mount: /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s6 is not this fstype.

I then tried to fsck and get the following error:
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;

I used the newfs -Nv to find out alternate superblock info. and still I got the same above error.

TIA

If you still have the old system (or configuration files from it - like a output from df -k) then take a look to see how it was mounted on the old system. It could have been that it doesn't get mounted (Sybase or Oracle raw device), it was under Vertias or DiskSuite control (the output I wrote about would verify this).

If you get on the old system check /etc/vfstab (if you know what the drive use to be).

I don't have the old system anymore. One of the 2 old drives was never used, however, the filesystem was mountable (I verified that before removing it). The other one was automatically mounted during startup. The old system was not running any database type program nor did it have any volume management software (Veritas) installed on it.

I am trying to avoid doing a format and restore on these drives though I do have a backup tape if format is the only solution.

If it can't read the superblock and you didn't use these as database disks, then you may be down to format and restore.