Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the drives; I am *assuming* you do this with the hard drives also. If so; could someone please kinda advice me on how to mount this drive properly so I can gain access to it? Thanks alot for everyones time :).

Edit: Incase it makes any difference, the hardrive is NTFS formated.

I tried to mount as such:

$ mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb /mnt/hdd2

But I get an output error of:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb, or too many mounted file systems

Thanks once again :slight_smile:

You would need to do:
$ mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb /mnt/hdd2

The '-t' flag indicates to mount what filesystem the partition is. You were telling it ext3fs which is the linux native filesystem.

This assumes that you have support for NTFS compiled in, which by the way you probably don't. In this case you will have to follow this link and download and install the correct RPM.
Then you will be able to mount as I showed you above.

**BEWARE** Linux NTFS support is considered to most as read ONLY. Writing may corrupt your data.
To make sure you do not write to the partition accidentely you can mount it as so:

$ mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hdb /mnt/hdd2

The option 'ro' indicates to mount it as read-only.
The command 'man mount' will tell you all the other thrilling things you can do with mount, also look at man fstab.

ps. If you are not sure which is the correct locatation for the device/partition you are trying to mount, the command 'fdisk -l' (as root) will list all your drives/partitions.

Have fun, welcome to the brotherhood :slight_smile: