Mounting XP Drive in Solaris 10

Hi All,

I'm a relative rookie when it comes to the world of Unix and Windows networking, and hoping you can help me out! My predicament:

I have a Windows machine running VMWare with an instance of Solaris 10.
I have a Windows XP Pro "server" with a large hard drive that I need Solaris to see.

Previously, I had Windows Server 2000 on the machine with the large hard drive and created a mount directory that Solaris used without a problem. Now that we have XP installed, we can mount the drive, but can't read anything inside (i.e. perform an 'ls' within the folder, and it returns blank).

ANY help would be VERY much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kevin

I should also mention that the XP machine does have Unix Services for Windows installed, but I don't know if there are any specific options I should configure!

Thanks again!

Is it FAT32 or NTFS formatted?
(I don't think Solaris supports NTFS.)

Surely you want NT to manage the volume but Solaris to use it as a network client.

Personally I would set up a share using SFU and let Solaris mount it as a normal nfs volume.

Or share it from Windoze and use CIFS (Samba) to mount it on the UNIX system.

Both of those answers sound like they'd work... could you provide any more details?

As I said, I'm still a rookie when it comes to using Unix...

Thanks!

If you use SFU then "NFS Sharing" is a page in the "Properties" for a directory.

From Solaris...

mount -F nfs hostname:/exportname /mountpoint

I'm not answering 'cos I'll sound like a Windows evangelist! :smiley: