Mounting a windows share on AIX

Hi,

How can I mount a Windows share (over samba) on an AIX machine?

I know there is a utility called smbmount on Linux, but alas, I cannot find out how to the same thing on AIX.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Install the GCC compiler and environment on AIX (if it is not already on your machine) and then compile and install SAMBA... the same an GCC/SAMBA on Linux.

I downloaded Samba version 2.2.3a extracted it and ran the 'configure' and 'make' scripts.

when running 'configure' there are a couple of options that are of interest (well, I think so),

--with-smbwrapper and
--with-smbmount

the smbmount option just bombs out telling me I can only use it on Linux and the smbwrapper option gives the following:

checking whether to use smbwrapper... yes
No syscall() -- disabling smbwrapper and smbsh

and consequently neither are installed.

The compiler is called 'C for AIX Compiler, Version 5' and the output messages from the 'configure' script include the line

gcc = yes

so I'm not really sure whats going on!

I believe that a SMB filesystem module is either compiled into the kernel, or loaded an a pluggable module with Linux, and the smbmount command should actually be called by the "mount" command (like mount -t smbfs ...).
So there's a good chance you're just out of luck on that one.

And the gcc = yes may be that gcc was found on your system, and it chose to use that. Do you have gcc installed as well?