mount points

hi,

I believe a mount point does not have to be a physical disk, but rather a logical one? Is this correct? if so, how can I find out if my mount points are on different physical disks?

thanks

cat /proc/partitions

This will show all your physical partitions. :slight_smile:

• nilesh

I do not have that on my system.

is there not a way to find out by using some unix command?

Knowing which OS you use can help us.
If you use a LVM you always create a FS on a Logical Volume which is part of a Volume Group for example. The Physical Volume beneath the VG can be logical or physical.

If you are not using a LVM, you can check maybe with fdisk or cfdisk, what is going on.

There must be something grouping your physical disks at least to make it a logical disk, presenting some volume that you can partition and put a FS with a mountpoint onto it, wether with LVM or without.

definition: mount point is the location in the operating system's directory structure where a mounted file system appears
You can try:

df - with no arguments

or editing /etc/mnttab or /etc/fstab(does not necessarily show mounted disks)

mountpoints look like /somedir/anotherdir instead of /somedir

hi guys,

thanks for your responses. I am using HP-UX.

basically, are you guys saying that multiple hard drived can be mounted as one hard drive on the machine? if so, say we have two hard disks and they're both mounted as /home, and then I read stuff from /home, and some of the stuff is on hard disk 1, some on hard disk 2. because I have two disk heads, does this mean my operation will happen faster than if I just had /home on one disk?

Read about Storage Area Networks, disk arrays here:
Storage area network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thanks jim, that looks a bit complex for a relative novice like me but I will try and see what I make of it and if still confused will ask again for help

thanks

Just having 2 disks will make nothing faster. Using them as RAID1 will speed up things though. That solely depends how those 2 harddisks are used. Maybe read about RAID on wikipedia too, and LVM etc.

You could have a faster operation depending on how your hard disks were combined. Depending on what you want to achieve, there are different methods of combining 2 or more physical disks to become one "logical" disk or device if I may use that word. Some examples include if you want a filesystem larger than the size of a physical disk, or you are looking at protecting your data against loss in case of a disk failure or even multiple disk failures. Generally speaking and not limited to HP-UX, there is concatenation, mirroring, raid 4, raid 5, and raid-dp amongst others. The solution you choose will depend on your scenario and priorities. There are a lot of Storage manufacturers and vendors out there you can choose from depending on your budget and your needs - Netapp, EMC, Panasas...