Modem Problems

breathe in breathe out
Okay, I managed to get Linux installed on my 2nd harddrive with my primary running windows.. but I'm having alittle problem getting linux to 'like' my modem.. (a 3com)... it just won't let me use it. I configure my internet connection how it should (give me some credit here.. I -know- it's not that).. but every time I try to debug or go to the internet, the handshake doesn't pass the modem.. it says that it 'cannot initalize modem' ... very frustrating.. I even got a message box that if it is a windows modem.. (are 3com modems all specifically for windows?.. anyhow...).. that if it is a windows modem, it might not -ever- work with linux. (major bummer)...
can some one help me out a bit here?..
[thanks in advance]

Do you know the model of modem? Can you use rp3 to talk to it? How are you dialing? (script, wvdial / rp3, other)

And, I have to ask, did you read up on securing your machine (turning off unneeded / unconfigured services, etc.) before poppoing it online? Remember, it's based on an architecture meant for server use, so you have to turn stuff off...

I haven't the slightest idea.. i'll go dig up the docuentation on my comp and find out the make and model and stuff.. but I dont know how I'm talking to it.. how to turn off uneeded services.. ect... I just managed to boot up linux for the first time yesterday.. and I've never touched this operating system before that...

read up a little at redhat.. (didn't help my problem any though).. my situation is I have a winmodem and I"m trying to use rp3 to connect to my PPP.. and Linux doesn't like my modem because it requires drivers to connect out (the drivers only exist in windows though)... so I"m guessing that i'll have to get a new modem... right?

Right. Get a good quality external modem, and you will be fine. Any standard external modem will work with Linux...it is often easier to get one of these than to try to find an internal that works properly. If you must have internal, you should look for one that does not use "HSP" or Host Signal Processing. Also check http://www.linmodems.org/ for Winmodems that are beginning to be supported under Linux.

PxT makes a good point. It is always easier for newbie users to start with external modems and similar devices because they don't have to worry about bus conflicts and other tricks.

After you master the external device, you can consider more 'compact' internal bus configuration. Even the 'old masters' have trouble-on-the-bus sometimes. Newbies should keep-it-simple.

Okay,
Well, I have been e-mailing a friend of mine that deals in computer parts.. and he was saying that he can get me a Zoom(tm) modem for me that (he says) will work with Linux.. you guys know anything about Zoom's compatability.. (I'm not sure if it's internal or external).

(btw, thnx for your help)

I've had bad luck with Zoom plug-and-play modems (with Linux) in the past. However, others may have had better luck.

My favorite ''standard' modems are US Robotics and Hayes. When I use internal models, I never use plug-and-play and always use modems with hard-wired jumpers so I can set I/O port and IRQ with a jumper.

In fact, I have at least three plug-and-play modems in my computer toy-box that I never use.

BTW: Another possibility is to install a PCI PCMCIA adapter and install PCMCIA card services; adding a PCMCIA modem card. You can then experiment with all kinds of PCMCIA cards including different PCMCIA modem cards.

My network is cable modem based to the Internet and 11 MBPS wireless inside; all PCMCIA based (on laptops and on rack mount servers.)

my friend tells me that the modem he carries (the Zoom model 2919) can be jumperable.. (i'm not sure what this means even.. :-P)... he's used it on Linux platforms before with no problems, so I'm going to give it a shot and sell my old winmodem on e-bay.. I'll let you guys know how the zoom works.. k?

thanks for the help =)

Well, I finally got my system running correctly!.. took me awhile and alot of confusion.. but it's working... found some wiggie stuff going on with the X Windows system too.. and some of it's utilities... so I told Redhat about them.. but other than that, a great experience all-in-all.
Thanks for all the help!:cool: