Migration from OLD server to NEW one

Hi everybody,

I want ask if it is possible to copy all storage structure (VGs, LVs & filesystems) from one server to another. In other words, I want to move my system from old server to new one, so I want the new server exactly have the same sizes and number of VGs, LVs, & filesystems.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

From what to what? Model numbers would help.

AIX level might help too.

mksysb -m can do this, you will also need to do the non-rootvg volume groups with savevg -m

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds5/savevg.htm

as johnf says though, the new machine must support the AIX level of the old machine, or vice versa if you need to upgrade the old machine AIX level to a later level, that the new machine supports, before the migration.

If the operating system is built up on the new system,
The things you have to do are

on the old system;
1-Unmount the filesystems
1-Varoff the vg s
2-Export the vg s
3-Remove the vpath and/or hdisk definitons from old system

on the new system;
1-Give the disks to the new system from disk management
2-Change the zoning on the SAN switch
3-If needed install SDD or MPIO and host attachment scripts
3-cfgmgr
4-Get the pvids with chdev
5-Import the vg s on one of the disks
6-Mount the filesystems

The structure is the same as the old one. All things including data. No risk of data corruption. If you give details about the systems I can help more. I can give the commands if you give the structure.

samaks,
only if the non-root vg's are on san storage, if they are on internal disks....see my last post.

I think more details should be given by aldowsary. aldowsary talks about storage and I didnt think storage would be on internal disks. By the way we have to wait the answer.

Quite correct we have to wait for an answer. He might want to move from an old 43P to a P510 for all we know. Also storage is storage whether external or internal so he needs to clarify both points! As I said in my first post from what to what?

Thanks guys for answers.

The info. for the old system:

• System Model: IBM,7026-6H1
  • OS & Version: AIX 4.3
  • Total Storage on SAN: 1.8 TB

The info. for the new system:

• System Model: I'm not sure. I have to check.
  • OS & Version: AIX 5.2
  • Total Storage on SAN: 3.8 TB

Is there any additional information required?

Note: Each system has its own Storage on SAN. I will not disconnect the storage from Old server to connect it to New server.

7026-6H1 is a P660, is this an lpar on this machine, I should think so. Run prtconf | more on the second system and cut and paste the top 15 lines into your reply.

I think there is no lpar on 660. You can take a backup and restore it to the other system. You have to create the lv s by yourself. After that you can use lvmirror or lvcopy. Or if you want to change the sizes of lv s you can take a backup by TSM or smt. and restore it to the other system.

Below is the results of prtconf on the new system:

System Model: IBM,9119-590
Machine Serial Number: 515000C
Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5
Number Of Processors: 2
Processor Clock Speed: 1656 MHz
CPU Type: 64-bit
Kernel Type: 64-bit
LPAR Info: 2 BVRP - Primary
Memory Size: 8192 MB
Good Memory Size: 8192 MB
Firmware Version: IBM,SF230_156
Console Login: enable
Auto Restart: true
Full Core: false

Also, there is no LPAR on the old machine, but on the new machine there is.

OMG!
big job
can you upgrade the p660 to 5.2, to then take a mksysb and then do a migration install on to the p590 LPAR? or do you need to leave the p660 intact at 4.3? (the p590 will not support 4.3)
do the applications on the p660 run on AIX 5.2?
if you need to leave the p660 at 4.3 you will need to start from scratch for the rootvg and the applications on the p590.