Migrating from HP UX to LINUX/SOLARIS- which one is more preferable?

Hi all,

We have an application that is running on HP-UX operating system (11i). the application is built using C, C++, ProC and ProC++ codes.

we have been given two choices for migration: LINUX and SOLARIS.

I would like to know the differences between the three OS and which OS to prefer LINUX or SOLARIS and Why?

thanks in advance,
Pallavi B.

We don't want flames in this forum ( Read again the rules...) explaining why you may not have replies yet especially from HP-UX aficionados...
You may have some very good reason to want/need to migrate but you say nothing of it so how can we give you our point of view?

Assuming decent scale I'd modernise the hardware and software and continue with HP-UX. Porting a large-scale application written in a low-level language to another platform is very high risk.
If this is a trivial application, the platform is largely immaterial providing that you have good programmers.
Whatever the decision, trial the application on sample new platforms and test throughly before making the change.

Pallavi,

I worked on Solaris/Linux but, I like HP-UX more. I'd vote for that. However, your situation is not your choice.

To answer your question, Solaris/Linux, it actually depends on how much money you have and how big your requirements are. If you have enough, better stay with HP-UX not that its better than others, just that you need not confuse. :wall::stuck_out_tongue:

Discuss with management and application teams. See how things work with both and read articles. You cannot go migrate an operating system since someone posts on a forum. Since, this is not a break-fix.

Most importantly, as methyl stated, TEST IT and see how it behaves on your applications. That would help you the most.

All the best!

-DB