Migrate /export/home from storage path to local

I am newbies in solaris, hope u guys can help me,

I need to transfer /export/home directory that currently mount at storage and migrate into local disk. may i know the best way to do it?

Thanks

Hi Deeo,

Can you tell us what the OS is for /export/home what is the destination machine type.

There are a number of options here and having the requested information would help.

Regards

Gull04

OS is solaris 10 and machine type m9000 domain. The destination is the same server as current path just i need to transfer the path from from storge lun into local disk

Do you have a volume manager in play here? If so, then you might be best to use local disk to extend the volume group and then ask the volume manager to migrate the logical volume across. This should be possible with the system active, although there will be an IO overhead.

What would concern me is the target hardware and why you would want to leave the protection that a SAN gives you. Are you looking to move the data to local and then off to a new SAN, or have you now got a local disk array that you are looking to exploit? The worry is that if it is truly local disk, then the OS is responsible for every disk write and will make the thread/process wait until it is completed to the real spinning media. It might sound counter intuitive, but local disk can therefore be significantly slower that properly configured RAID or SAN disk. SAN (or a good local RAID device) will have a serious chunk of cache so it can accept the write request and signal that it is complete much faster. The SAN will then complete the action to the spinning media in its own time, leaving the OS to continue with further processing.

Can you tell us the end goal here?

Robin

We don't have volume manager in place currently just using standard ufs fstyp since this is UAT server, vol manager like infoscale require licensed and its expensive.

Our end goal is we want to replace the storage that currently attached to /export/home directory. So im planning to move 1st /export/home dir to local disk then plugoff the current storage and provision a new storage. Then later on /export/home directory will remain in local disk or transfer back the new storage will depend on my management.

Hi Deeo,

Gotta say that I agree with Robin, however what would look like the way to go would simply to pesent some disk and mount it up on a suitable directory say /mnt/xfer and do the following.

cd /export/home
tar cf - * | (cd /mnt/xfer; tar xfp -)
cd /
umount /export/home
umount /mnt/xfer

You would now have to ensure that the /etc/vfstab file is correct and either mount the device manually or reboot the domain (I'm betting the manual mount would be preferred here).

To manually mount the disk/slice you just use the standard Solaris command, but to make it persistent you have to edit the vfstab file.

Regards

Gull04

1 Like

Do i need to boot into init 1 or single user mode for this operation?