migrate complete OS from v240 to v440

We are concluding development of a new application on a v240 and would like to migrate the entire Solaris10 OS on the v240 to a v440 that is currently live with Solaris 9.

The steps outlined in my head are as follows:

1) Flash archive the v440 and v240 and store the flar file on a different server.
2) Flash install on the v440 from the v240 flar.

Now, I'm not sure what needs to be done next to get all the devices up to date. Do I need to boot into single user mode and delete the /dev directory and run devfsadm? What else needs to be done?

Thanks.

do a "boot -rsv" for the first boot from the obp.

If you are doing a flash install of the 440 then there is nothing more to do. The Device tree will be rebuild on install.

Thanks reborg.

How will the Flash install handle SVM mirroring and ZFS filesystems that exist currently on the v240? Will they be migrated seamlessly to the v440?

The flar doesn't retain the mirror or the ZFS (at least Solaris 10 10/06 didn't retain ZFS, haven't tried with 08/07). You'd have to remirror the box and recreate the pools.

One method that may be unpopular here :slight_smile: that I have used in the past, is simply moving the HDs from the v240 to the v440. As long as the disks show on the same c*t*d*, you should be good to go.

That was actually my first though. It does work, and a "boot -r" should fix anything out of place provided there is nothing too strange attached to the machine.

Flar does not retain zfs, nor svm configurations, and it is not intended to. A set ZFS disks encapsulates all of the information needed to import the pool, so one would normally either backup and recreate the pool and restore the data on the new pool, or move the disks ( even between dissimilar hardware).

If you use jumpstart you can recreate the SVM information at install time, but not the zpool and zfs filesystems.

I tested the flar from a V240 on a 280R. The data in the ZFS filesystem was not backed up at all. It looks like I will have to move the data from the ZFS filesystem over to a UFS mountpoint before creating the final flar.
Otherwise everything seems to work as expected. Thanks!